• Register
  • Help

Topic: "First Suite For Band" by Gary Bricault

Share/Bookmark

"First Suite For Band" by Gary Bricault

First Suite For Band is a four movement work based on three tone poem-like movements and a summation finale. The first three movements each express feelings that are invoked by the theme of the subject title. These subjects are stated musically within each movement and again in the successive movements, both directly as well as inter-twined within the subject theme. The Finale brings all of the subject themes together into an energetic conclusion.

I. The Dawn: The sun rises majestically over the horizon, casting its brilliant glow onto an awaking world. A rush of movement confirms this as creatures, great and small, stir to a new day of life. Even the plants turn towards the warming sunlight as if in a lifting of arms in praise to the Creator of Life.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/gb-TheDawn.mp3

II. Simple Love: The feeling of love can be shared between two people in ways as simple as exchanging glances, hugs and speaking kind words. The theme is a simple one, basic, almost folk ballad-like. And yet it grows rich and mellow, glowing, stated first as a solo and then in duet, interchanging parts and then in chorus as together the couple walk off holding hands.

The clarinet solo in "Simple Love" would is Gary's daughter's.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/gb-SimpleLove.mp3

III. The Storm: This movement is divided into three distinct sections. Each project an image before, during and after the ensuing chaos.
    * Summer Day: Imagine a southern summer day, sweltering hot, scorching to the point that even the leaves on the trees cry out for relief. A sad spiritual is heard in the distance, grows to a crescendo and then fads again as dark clouds gather on the horizon.
    * The Storm: A fanfare heralds the approaching storm, moving in its relentless might, with the only certainty being its violent uncertainty. Underlying rhythm and theme move in unsteady relationship to one another. Lightening flashes, thunder roars and the fury of the storm is here. For an odd moment a whimsical melody breaks through the din only to be beaten down again by the driving wind and rain. The storm eventually runs its course, moving on as dispassionately as it arrived.
    * Aftermath: All of nature breaths a sigh of relief and offers a prayer of thanksgiving for the life giving water that remains behind. The opening theme is restated under the choral theme as the music reaches its conclusion.
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/gb-TheStorm.mp3

IV. Finale: A rousing fanfare provides the opening from which follows the themes and variations from the three preceding movements. A lively entrance ensues. A dance begins, oddly enough, with a statement out of the depths of the storm. It develops into in the form of a tarantella underlying at first the basic theme of Simple Love presented in half time and then again in a grand and jubilant chorus. The fanfare is restated and the work reaches an exciting conclusion.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/gb-Finale.mp3

We do not get very many realizations for concert band and this is a real treat. I am very impressed. This is excellent music and a very refreshing use of the libraries in a different genre. A huge untertaking that is very well written and produced.

Thanks Gary for sharing this with us.

Gary Garritan

Re: "First Suite For Band" by Gary Bricault

I had the special privilege of previewing the First Suite For Band
    from Gary Bricalt via email a short time ago -- as well as others of his
    band pieces.

This is undoubtedly some of the best concert band writing I've heard in
    terms of innovative and highly effective orchestration for the ensemble.
    Some of the coloristic work is just sublime... and I'd truly love to hear
    this live.

Compositionally, the writing is also textbook solid, virtually flawlessly
    engineered and structured throughout -- an outstanding example of craft
    at its best.

Congratulations, Gary. This is a first-rate suite, truly excellent work,
    and a major achievement of which you can be justly proud.

Best regards,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Very nice work here, Gary. I hope you are able to get performances of this. I love the uplifting and affirming quality to the Dawn. It has a lot of wonderful energy. Just the sort of music you wake up to. Simple Love has a very beautiful melody to it. I love that there is a grand quality to it. The Storm begins with a great sultry summery quality, and moves into the darker elements of the actual Storm. I really like the feeling of how it passes over and then moves away, leaving the world refreshed. I love the excitement of the Finale, really giving a feeling of resolve. This is an excellent first suite! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    Very nice work here, Gary. I hope you are able to get performances of this. ............................ This is an excellent first suite! Congratulations!
    Thanks for your very gracious comments on the Suite. I am glad that it touched you in a way that I had intended for this work. I composed it with every good thought that I could think of in band literature. It was a two year labor of love, that I dedicated to my daughter, hence her solo in Simple Love.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary,
    I finally found enough time to give this a listen. Very impressive writing. Each movement is expertly shaped and constructed. As others have commented, it would be great to hear a live performance of this. You're off to a great start.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Gary, those are outstanding. I particularly liked Simple Love and Storm, the woodwinds in them are so beautiful. Her solo is great! I agree with what the others here have said, can't wait to hear it live.

David

Thumbs up Re: "First Suite For Band" by Gary Bricault

Very nice to hear well structured music for band. This is first class composing and will be awesome in live performance! I was into all four movements and found each one perfectly exciting! Excellent! A five star work of art!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Gary, those are outstanding. I particularly liked Simple Love and Storm, the woodwinds in them are so beautiful. Her solo is great! I agree with what the others here have said, can't wait to hear it live.

David
    Thanks David. The GPO woodwinds are really excellent. I had hoped that it would be performed live this year so I could hear her play the solo. But it was not the case. But I am looking for other performance venues as always

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Very nice to hear well structured music for band. This is first class composing and will be awesome in live performance! I was into all four movements and found each one perfectly exciting! Excellent! A five star work of art!
    Thanks for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated. I wanted to write a work that fit together like pieces of a puzzle with themes that were shared across the movements. And I think it worked. Maybe someday I will do a Second Suite!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Gary,
    I finally found enough time to give this a listen. Very impressive writing. Each movement is expertly shaped and constructed. As others have commented, it would be great to hear a live performance of this. You're off to a great start.
    Bill
    Thanks Bill. I am glad that you and others can enjoy this. I am still working on getting it's premier live performance. But I am glad to be able to share it here as well. It certainly was a journey down roads I never thought I would travel musically.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum