• Register
  • Help

Topic: Are the footnote marks supposed to be active links?

Share/Bookmark

Are the footnote marks supposed to be active links?

I thought a footnote mark would take me to the footnote, but in Firefox, it does not (for me, anyhow.) Is it me, FF or it just doesn't work that way?

Thanks.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Re: Are the footnote marks supposed to be active links?

Dasher,

The footnotes are not linked and will not take you to the bottom of the page. You'll have to scroll. I would like to be able to do link them. Perhaps someone knowledgeable in PHP program can let us know if this is possible and, if so, how to do it.

Gary Garritan

i don't know anything about PHP, but in straight HTML it could be done easily. I don't know if these two methods can be combined or not, but it is still a set of HTML pages, so I wouldn't rule it out (and it's quite simple to do and maintain.).
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Perhaps someone knowledgeable in PHP program can let us know if this is possible and, if so, how to do it.
    Hi! I do Web development when I'm not composing, so I think I can contribute a thing or two here. In this case, the relevant issue is not really a PHP issue. PHP is simply a programming language in which many Web applications have been written. Like most Web programming languages, it plays nice with HTML (who would want a Web programming language that didn't?).

The issue here is rather the particular application that is running these forums, which appears to be vBulletin (a common choice for this type of forum). It's written in PHP, but that's irrelevant here. What is relevant is that vBulletin has its own kind of markup, called vBcode, in which it's easy to code a link, but hard to code an anchor that a link would refer to (such as the target spots for notes).

However, we appear to be in luck here. Most vBulletin administrators disable HTML in their posts, but the administrator of this board doesn't appear to. I've created a test in this post: you should be able to click here and jump to the top of this post.

Edit: For technical reasons, the test doesn't work on the forum page (although it did in preview), but the principle is sound. We'll just need a little more tweaking to get it working in the Rimsky, but it should be doable with very little effort.

So you should just be able to create links to the notes in HTML, the way you would on any Web page. If you need help doing that, feel free to contact me privately for further explanation.

And thanks for putting this text on the Web. While undeniably dated and biased, Rimsky's book remains an incredible resource for the serious student of composition and orchestration.

Best,
    Marnen E. Laibow-Koser
    Composer / Web developer
    http://www.marnen.org

Marnen,

Thank you very much for looking into this feature. It seems perhaps doable. I will contact the admins and ask them to look into this. Good to have a knowledgeable person that can give some insight.

I appreciate your help.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum