• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lesson 3 Discusssion

Share/Bookmark

Lesson 3 Discusssion

In this lesson we start getting into the meat of orchestration. This lesson begins the journey into the craft of orchestrating melodies. A melody is often what is remembered most about a piece of music. The way a melody is orchestrated can make it memorable or easily forgotten. Using orchestral color to restate the melody in a new and unique ways is what makes for a good orchestrator. Different instrument combinations can drastically affect the mood the orchestrator is trying to convey.

In this lesson focuses on melody in the stringed instruments, namely violin, viola, cello and double bass.

You can use this thread to ask questions and comment relating to Lesson 3 or you can start other threads if you want to focus on particular topics.

Feel free to do the exercises and share your results with others.

Gary Garritan

Uncle ! Where are midi files

Not off to a great start. Terminal stupidity ? Looked in the tutorials and couldn't find anything on loading midi files. Where are they ? I right clicked on the scores and didn't see anything that would get a midi file out of the tutorial. The examples play just fine though.

Bob

Re: Lesson 3 Discusssion

Hi Gary,

these lessons are just great! Thanks a million times for these!
    I have just listened to the first example of the violins in lesson 3, with the
    b minor extract of the 2nd movement of the Sheherzade. I remember you mentioning that we may hear sounds of the GPOA used in the listening examples. Are we hearing strings sounds that are GPO, or Garritan Orchestral Strings, or some of the new GPOA sounds? Just curious! By the way, this first example I have just listened to is so well done!
    best,

Steve.

Hi Steve Martin!

Remember me? What happened to you then?

Terry Dwyer

This is very good stuff. A lot to think about. One problem, I can't download the midi files, Quicktime keeps opening them and playing them with some internal sounds. I'm using mozilla firefox on a PC running XP

Quote Originally Posted by Collin
    This is very good stuff. A lot to think about. One problem, I can't download the midi files, Quicktime keeps opening them and playing them with some internal sounds. I'm using mozilla firefox on a PC running XP
    Collin, try right-clicking and "Save As". Then open them in your sequencer or notation program.

Gary Garritan

Thanks Gary.

I have a question.. in "Kitesh" what type of instrument is a Fevronia?? I do not hear that part in playback.

Mike

Red face Re: Lesson 3 Discusssion

Oops nevermind I just noticed the words below the Fevronia melody line! I should look more carefully at the music next time

instrumentation question

In the City of Kitesh score clarinet I is designated at the top of the section. Then it splits into two voices at the end. Should we presume that the two clarinets are plaing the sextuplet figures in unison.

Actually that brings up a general question; what woodwind configuration is called for in this score (i.e.,pairs, threes,etc.)

Go Back to forum