• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: THE REALIZATION OF LIGHT - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Share/Bookmark

Arrow THE REALIZATION OF LIGHT - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

THE REALIZATION OF LIGHT
    By David J. Sosnowski
    For Symphony Orchestra
    With Jazz Trumpet and Piano

To listen:

www.DavidSosnowski.com

The score is also available on the site.

Related pieces:

The Discourse of Stars
    The Emergence of Time

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: THE REALIZATION OF LIGHT - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Beautiful work, David!

You have a real individual style, and it really works. I especially like the piano writing. There is a real stream-of-consciousness feel to much of it, but a very focused and intense stream. There are so many surprises here, and all of them gems -- none for the sake of shock value. The last few bars are exquisite.

Much of this piece seems tied to this particular realization. I wonder if this was not envisioned to be played by a live orchestra? The unnatural (yet appropriate) reverb; some very difficult instrumental parts; the unusual nature of much of the trumpet writing... what are your thoughts on that? It certainly works "as is" in any case.

I don't feel I have yet completely grasped what is going on musically, but the writing is compelling enough to draw me into another listen or two.

Thanks for sharing another stellar work with us!

Jamie
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

David,
    Congratulations on another superb opus. This work bespeaks the New England sensibility that is so characteristic of your writing. The music moves in and out of a variety moods and temperments, at times recalling the romantics and others, an almost Gershwin feel, but always Sosnowski.
    BRAVO on a great achievement.
    I would add that the mix is more than exceptional. I found it to be bright and clear and as close to convincing as anyone has come here.

Bravo David, Bravo!!

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Awesome, David! This is great, my favorite piece of yours thus far. I love the extreme variety in orchestration style and texture, yet it all flows together and is connected beautifully. I can sense the "almost Gershwin feel" Bill mentioned, but indeed, always Sosnowski! I really love the orchestration.

Brilliant! Bravo!!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: THE REALIZATION OF LIGHT - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

David - wow!!! no pulling punches here - yet, not one punch misses its mark...the way you imply jazz in this piece reminds me of how, say, stravinsky would imply certain genres...hints here and there, maybe something a tad more obvious later, but just enough...it's like looking through the ice on a frozen lake - you might make out certain objects below, but your filter is always the ice...the allusion is well-taken, but the Sosnowski sound is always apparent...i'll definitely be back for another listen to absorb more...this is fantastic, and i look forward to spending more time with this music...

josh

Talent Dave - talent.

The beginning is almost serialism I believe. It goes into a section that reminds me of Carl Davis a few years ago - The World at War for example. Merely stylistically you understand.

I would like to hear this recorded by an orchestra.

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw

Beautiful work, David!
    Thanks, Jamie. I'm pleased you made it by for a listen!

You have a real individual style, and it really works. I especially like the piano writing. There is a real stream-of-consciousness feel to much of it, but a very focused and intense stream. There are so many surprises here, and all of them gems -- none for the sake of shock value. The last few bars are exquisite.
    Curiously, though the sense of streaming, of light, was part of the intent, this is one of the most highly structured pieces I've written, with virtually everything deriving directly from initial material, mostly the first few notes.

Much of this piece seems tied to this particular realization. I wonder if this was not envisioned to be played by a live orchestra? The unnatural (yet appropriate) reverb; some very difficult instrumental parts; the unusual nature of much of the trumpet writing... what are your thoughts on that? It certainly works "as is" in any case.
    Other than the risk of an aneurysm for the trumpet player (doable, though), most of the writing sounds more difficult than it really is.

The sound treatment, Jamie, is always my Achilles Heel. My hearing isn't the greatest, so I fly more on instinct and theory. I do "shop" the sound to several trusted colleagues before releasing to backstop my aging ears, and then go with their consensus.

But is it right? Beats me, Jamie... I'd have to be able to hear it... lol.

I don't feel I have yet completely grasped what is going on musically, but the writing is compelling enough to draw me into another listen or two.
    My apologies for not yet having the score ready, Jamie, which I think would be helpful. I've got a couple of day's work to do to clean that up so it's readable... but it should be along very soon.

Thanks for sharing another stellar work with us!

Jamie
    Thanks again for listening, Jamie. As you know, I'm a great admirer of your own work, and always appreciate your comments especially!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    David,
    Congratulations on another superb opus. This work bespeaks the New England sensibility that is so characteristic of your writing. The music moves in and out of a variety moods and temperments, at times recalling the romantics and others, an almost Gershwin feel, but always Sosnowski.
    BRAVO on a great achievement.
    I would add that the mix is more than exceptional. I found it to be bright and clear and as close to convincing as anyone has come here.

Bravo David, Bravo!!

Bill
    Thanks, Bill!

ALL: Bill has recently joined the ranks of those crazy enough to compose. Don't miss his Gargoyles.

My thanks also, Bill, for listening to this as it developed, and for helping me evaluate and settle on the right sound treatment for it.

You often mention that "New England sensibility" and I'm curious about what aspects of the music give that sense of it for you. Perhaps I can induce you to eludicate one of these days...

Thanks doubly, Bill, for listening and for the help.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Awesome, David! This is great, my favorite piece of yours thus far. I love the extreme variety in orchestration style and texture, yet it all flows together and is connected beautifully. I can sense the "almost Gershwin feel" Bill mentioned, but indeed, always Sosnowski! I really love the orchestration.

Brilliant! Bravo!!
    Thanks, Sean!

The orchestration in this is probably a treatise on how not to do things... lol -- but then, it does suit the writer, eh?

Doffing of the cap to Gershwin seemed appropriate to me, in that so much of his music, at least to me, seems to be infused with a sense of some subtle illumination, almost a glow.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    David - wow!!! no pulling punches here - yet, not one punch misses its mark...the way you imply jazz in this piece reminds me of how, say, stravinsky would imply certain genres...hints here and there, maybe something a tad more obvious later, but just enough...it's like looking through the ice on a frozen lake - you might make out certain objects below, but your filter is always the ice...the allusion is well-taken, but the Sosnowski sound is always apparent...i'll definitely be back for another listen to absorb more...this is fantastic, and i look forward to spending more time with this music...

josh
    ALL: Don't miss Josh's latest, Summer Overture, while you're here!

Josh, you know I always look forward to your comments and insights.

That allusion to ice captures an aspect of this piece I was finding difficult to put into words, myself... a sense of seeing through a lens of sorts.

Let me know what you think if you have time for further listening -- I think you'll find the construction of the piece interesting, in light of your own work.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast