• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about .mp3 files

Share/Bookmark

Question about .mp3 files

Josh just posted an awesome piece in the Listening Room entitled Summer Overture. Go check it out! Go ahead and make a folder it is definately a saver.

It took a long time to download it and this made me wonder about something, since I'm new to mp3's and stuff. It could just be a big file size because it is full orchestration and 13 minutes long, but I was wondering if anyone knows if they can be made smaller after you make them.

A drawing program called AutoCAD has this button for that, I don't recall what it is called. The files made with AutoCAD grow enormous in size because every step and every tool used is stored, so when you're finished and won't need to go back, you use this button that gets rid of all the extra baggage reducing it size down to small number of kilobytes.

Is there any extra baggage on a mp3 that was made with samples and if so is there a way to remove it to reduce the size without effecting the quality of sound?

Re: Question about .mp3 files

Leaf, that file Josh posted is about 18M in size. That's quite consistent with the size one would expect for ~13 minutes of music, at the preferred rate of 192 kb/s.

While it is true you can significantly reduce the file size of an .mp3 -- by reducing the rate, going to monophonic rather than stereo, allowing cross-channel mixing and so on -- it is at a very significant sacrifice of audio quality.

As for extraneous material in .mp3 files, there's typically not all that much: tagging; copyright, original, private set bits; checksums; etc., that add, relatively, almost nothing to file size.

Best,

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Last I checked, the mp3 file format does not allow this to occur. Yet, it may be possible to use a compression program on it to compress the Audio. But you have to do this before you save the file. And generally, tons of quality will be lost.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    Last I checked, the mp3 file format does not allow this to occur. Yet, it may be possible to use a compression program on it to compress the Audio. But you have to do this before you save the file. And generally, tons of quality will be lost.

Well MP3 is already a compressed file format to begin with. A wave file of the some length would be many times larger.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe
    Well MP3 is already a compressed file format to begin with. A wave file of the some length would be many times larger.
    True, Ed.

Just to put some reference numbers around that, I just converted
    a 100M .wav which comes out to a 13M .mp3.

That's at 192 kb/s -- and it also varies with the actual .wav file
    content, of course -- but in general, the ratio will run around there.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks very much for that info, guys.

best regards,
    David

Go Back to forum