• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Barber's Adagio for Strings

Share/Bookmark

VSL Barber's Adagio for Strings

http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=4865

Violins with the Pro Edition bonus : Appasionata Violins
    Good job Michael Hula (Programming) and Dietz Tinhof (Mix)

Re: VSL Barber's Adagio for Strings

Possibly the best mock up/best sounding version of this piece I've heard done with samples.

There's a few rough spots where I thought the violins were too harsh though or when some of the sections were isolated.

These new VSL demos continue to impress me.

gorgeous sound --I would only say slightly too much reverb which made the cellos sound fizzy in places

Good programming but the main violin line sounds synthetic to me. I'm a Barber enthusiast and have played & conducted this piece so it's a tough one to fool me with.

I think doubling the lead line with a smaller violin section with vibrato might help.

Sorry to be a curmugeon but as nice as VSL is, no one IMO has nailed a string section yet. The attack, the expression, just so many variables to consider. But the tempo of this offering is good. Obviously a lot of work went into it but I'm honestly not that impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by SyQuEsT
    http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=4865

Violins with the Pro Edition bonus : Appasionata Violins
    Good job Michael Hula (Programming) and Dietz Tinhof (Mix)
    Some lively moments but the beginning string attacks are a dead give away.

Rick

Thumbs up Re: VSL Barber's Adagio for Strings

As our job is not to fool musicians with what we are able to do with sample libs. I think the overall product is very well done. While an orchestra is what we try to emulate, the product has to be judged within the arena of samples and computer generated music. IMHO, within that context I think this is very nice indeed.
    MotuHari--DP 4.61, Reason, Stylus RMX, Kontakt2, VGEE, GPO, Mac B&W G3w/G4 Upgrade, Keystation Pro 88

Quote Originally Posted by MotuHari
    As our job is not to fool musicians with what we are able to do with sample libs.
    Well exactly. Who on earth is the audience in the first place, would be my question. It's almost as if the whole audience out there are other musicians that sit there listening for sampling artifacts whilst fiddling with their anoraks.
    If the music works in the first place, no one gives a ~~~~ whether it's samples or not.

Samples are the best way to save time before your work is playing by a real orchestra.

It's like a 3D software for an architect.

Go Back to forum