• Register
  • Help

Topic: Identifying LS DrumKit In GS

Share/Bookmark

Identifying LS DrumKit In GS

Simple,.. but I can't seem to find it.

If using a LSDrumkit in GM mode, you then decide you want to use the SAME kit in EX Mode.
    How can you identify what the exact kit you are using in GM mode in order to open up the same kit in EX mode?

They don't show up labelled as anything except "stacked" and the list of individiual kit pieces?
    got to be a simple answer..

anybody know?

Thanks

Peter

Re: Identifying LS DrumKit In GS

If you do a keyword search in the QS database, like "piano donut stick," you should see both EX and GM kits listed.

With any luck (and assuming that your selection of the kit in question was the result of a recent search), you will find the kit you are using in the "recent searches" window that pops up by the QS search window...

Other thought: don't the individual components show up in the lower right-hand corner, under "Instrument Name"?
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

The kit was selected a month ago using the audtion method, so no.
    It wouldn't show up now.

Yes the kit pieces are all listed in the instrument list.

However, do you know how many kits use Craviota snares? and just about all use yammy kick and toms,.. so it's really guess work then.

thanks anyway.

Pete

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

One thing that might provide you a shortcut or hint: Most of the kits are named after the room they're modeled into. So, if you open GigaPulse and look at the name of the room impulse, you can probably find the kit.

I'm pretty sure that will get you there. If for some reason the result is indeterminate, you can always replace each GM instrument with its EX counterpart, and save it out as a GSI file. However, I have a feeling you won't need to do this.

I know this does not help with your current problem but It is possible to rename the stack using the "stack properties" dialog found in the channel drop down menu...

Once you find the right kit you can rename the stack and either save the name into your gsp session or resave the LSDrums gsi.

Thanks guys,

it does seem a bit bizarre there is no exact reference to the 5 trillion LSDrum kits on the harddrive ,.. eh ?

Pete

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMcC
    Thanks guys,

it does seem a bit bizarre there is no exact reference to the 5 trillion LSDrum kits on the harddrive ,.. eh ?

Pete
    That is not correct. There are very exact references. Each GVI is specific to the layout of the kit and the default room.

I told you how to solve this problem. It is an easy, no brainer solution. By the clues you'll find in the room selection of your GM kit, you can narrow down the choice to a very small number of kits. From there, surely you can remember whether you were using sticks, rods, or mallets, and whether you were using wide open heads or donut-damping. Right? Can you remember that much about what you did? If so, you'll be narrowed down to very few choices, from which you can easily get the kit you were looking for.

If you still can't get it going your way, if you were to write Larry nicely, he would probably bend over backwards to help you. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, a total sweetheart, and very funny on top of that.

Thanks-

I removed the room from the kit before I saved the project, which makes it more difficult.....

I did post nicely on the LS forum,... he didn't respond.

He may have taken offense to a few of the shortcomings I found and inquired about in the LSD lib on his forum.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMcC
    Thanks-

I removed the room from the kit before I saved the project, which makes it more difficult.....

I did post nicely on the LS forum,... he didn't respond.

He may have taken offense to a few of the shortcomings I found and inquired about in the LSD lib on his forum.

Peter
    Highly unlikely that Larry would take offense and is always more than willing to help customers get the most out of his libraries. My guess is he's just been pulled away with other projects.

There are not as many kits as you think, though there is the possibility for far more than the ones Larry made up. The kits that came with the library are repeated with the different room colors, plus in the two variations of the Expanded mode and then the GM mode. If you use the "Drum Sample Palette" in the manual with the instrument list of the kit you saved in the QS window, you should be able to identify which snare, stick, kick was used and that should help narrow your search down.

The other way would be to just use QS to search for each drum name from your saved GM kit to find the EX version and make your own kit from scratch. This wouldn't take long at all and probably less time than searching many kits for the right drum instrument combinations since you'd have to load each one.

On the plus side you now know one of the secrets of good engineering/producing...Document what you did, name and save everything.:-)

Good luck,
    jeff

Hey thanks jeff,

best advise ever,.... Document !!!!!

I guess in preset land I got lazy, ..Best

Peter

Go Back to forum