• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Copy protected music for website?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Copy protected music for website?

Does anyone know the current and best method for posting music samples on websites? I previously had mine imbedded in a Flash popup so that people couldn't just download the files and use them freely, but with popup blockers and the need for flash, I found that a lot of people have had problems accessing my files. I'm really concerned about people using the music I plan to post without permission. Perhaps a freeware custom player of sorts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Jamey

Re: OT: Copy protected music for website?

Jamey,

I don't have the answers you seek, but also want to make you aware of this:

Even if you find a foolproof way of keeping people from downloading the actual audio files, they'd still be able to to use an audio capture program to digitally re-record the audio.

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    Does anyone know the current and best method for posting music samples on websites? I previously had mine imbedded in a Flash popup so that people couldn't just download the files and use them freely, but with popup blockers and the need for flash, I found that a lot of people have had problems accessing my files. I'm really concerned about people using the music I plan to post without permission. Perhaps a freeware custom player of sorts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Jamey
    There are Flash media players (some free some cheap) that can play your music directly from the web page. I had trouble with one of these (XSPF Player from http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/) because after a day or two it started streaming the author's media files not mine! I removed it from my site. If you have Flash professional, you can create your own player or use the one that comes with it. If you're not too worried about aesthetics, you could probably use an embedded windows media player.

Wimpyplayer is not free but it looks quite smart and well developed -

http://www.wimpyplayer.com/

R

Thanks for the replies.
    I've been noodling around with wimpyplayer. It seems pretty cool...an elegant solution theoretically...but so far it's been pretty buggy. Slow load times on page loads, plays the mp3 files slow (like a slowed down record player), and play icon disappears when you hide browser. These 3 bugs are pretty much deal breakers. I'm gonna contact the guy and see if there are any workarounds, but something so buggy right out of the gate seems pretty suspect in my book.
    -Jamey

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Jamey,

I don't have the answers you seek, but also want to make you aware of this:

Even if you find a foolproof way of keeping people from downloading the actual audio files, they'd still be able to to use an audio capture program to digitally re-record the audio.
    ...or, just route it through the board and record it via the analog inputs.

I'd say anyone who is going to lift tunes off the internet to use in a production won't be deterred by any method of protection.

A couple of people I know simply do a lot of segued/crossfaded cuts within a track, so that there's nothing usable, but people still get a picture of your sound. Personally, I find that distracting.

Well, I guess I'm not so concerned about people using my stuff after all. I mean, really...it's all owned by huge corporations who would sue the daylights out of anybody profiting off of their property. I guess I'm actually lucky to be able to use the darned stuff for my own website...hopefully I won't get sued.

I ended up using the wimpyplayer as per dabbler's suggestion and it's working out pretty well. I figured out workarounds for the early problems I was experiencing. The only remaining down side now is that it takes a while for the page to load.

BTW- if anyone is interested, I just posted about 30 new tracks on my website. It's been a while since I've updated and my catalog has backed up quite a bit. Check it out if you like music

http://dramaticmusic.com/listen.htm

Cheers,
    Jamey

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    I ended up using the wimpyplayer...I just posted about 30 new tracks
    That worked quite well. Listening to the tracks now. Sounds great!

Amy

Go Back to forum