• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI over Wireless LAN??

Share/Bookmark

MIDI over Wireless LAN??

Does anyone have any experience streaming samples over a wireless network?

I do most of my composing in my living room on my wireless laptop. But I have my old desktop in my studio a few doors away, practically going to waste. It's still pretty souped up and it would be wonderful to combine forces in order to load more instruments and effects.

I know a lot of people use MIDI-Over-LAN and FXTeleport for this, but does anybody do it using a wireless network?

If not, I suppose I could pony up and get an extra long network cable. Any advice on how to use a 2-system setup efficiently? (preferably when one computer is in a separate room).

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: MIDI over Wireless LAN??

I would pony up for the extra long cable myself. I highly doubt a wireless connection has the bandwith necessary for using something like FX teleport.
    Tim

MIDI over LAN doesn't need that much bandwidth but there might be some latency issues with wireless connection. FX Teleport should be used with 1GB LAN. Most likely you'll be happier with the cable.

Ok thanks.

Now for another question which I can't figure out from the FXTeleport website.

Does FXTeleport actually transport AUDIO over LAN? If I have a host computer and a VST computer, does the audio from the VST transfer through LAN and output through the host's sound card? Or does it output through the VST computer's sound card? If I have samples playing simultaneously from BOTH computers, can I have them output from the same sound card (preferably the host's)?

thanks,
    chris.

[QUOTE=CallMeZoot]Does FXTeleport actually transport AUDIO over LAN? If I have a host computer and a VST computer, does the audio from the VST transfer through LAN and output through the host's sound card?QUOTE]

Yamaha has the proprietary mLan protocol that transmits audio and Midi over a Lan connection but the other lan systems all will only do Midi.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Ok thanks.

Now for another question which I can't figure out from the FXTeleport website.

Does FXTeleport actually transport AUDIO over LAN? If I have a host computer and a VST computer, does the audio from the VST transfer through LAN and output through the host's sound card? Or does it output through the VST computer's sound card? If I have samples playing simultaneously from BOTH computers, can I have them output from the same sound card (preferably the host's)?

thanks,
    chris.
    FXTeleport transfers both the midi to the slave computer and the audio back to the host.
    Tim

thanks,
    chris.
    Yes, yes, no, yes. Regarding "no", you don't even need a soundcard on the slave PC.

However you won't get very good results with a wireless connection, although you are welcome to try. In my experience you need to follow the networking guides to the letter. People who don't often find that there is a problem somewhere along the line and then moan that "it doesn't work"..!

D

Does FXTeleport actually transport AUDIO over LAN?
    That is the reason why Gigabit LAN should be used.

[QUOTE=dubaifox]
    Does FXTeleport actually transport AUDIO over LAN? If I have a host computer and a VST computer, does the audio from the VST transfer through LAN and output through the host's sound card?QUOTE]

Yamaha has the proprietary mLan protocol that transmits audio and Midi over a Lan connection but the other lan systems all will only do Midi.
    mLan uses proprietary hardware (a card you have to install on your pc) and I believe a IEEE1394 cable for it's connection.. it doesn't use an existing LAN like Midi-over-LAN or FXTeleport do.

Go Back to forum