• Register
  • Help

Topic: Give me your feedback!

Share/Bookmark

Give me your feedback!

I've been composing for over a decade, but am a fairly new orchestrator. I'd love some feedback on instrumentation, mixing, balance, anything you'd be willing to offer. The following piece is part of a full musical production for my city called "Princess and the Pizza". It is a children's production with all original music. Below is the overture. If anyone would like to offer additional feedback on other pieces in the musical, let me know and I'll direct you to where they're located.

Visit www.tetonmusic.com and scroll to the bottom. There's a small link that says, "Overture".

Thanks!

Thumbs up Re: Give me your feedback!

May I ask, what library of instruments did you use to render your overture? Although I find nothing wrong with the arrangement, it sounds like you used general midi sound or keyboard sounds and this tends to obscure the balance, texture, and overall effect of an orchestra. Believe me, I am not in the least bashing your overture nor your skills. Rather, I would believe you would have better chance setting up your objective(s) using a virtual orchestra.
    As for the overture, very nice! AND! You have quite an impressive resume!
    Styxx

Re: Give me your feedback!

Welcome to the forum!

I really enjoyed this arrangement!

Very bright, uplifting, and well constructed.... great for a children's production!

I would agree with Styxx on the quality of instruments/rendering. The staccato like articulations give a mechanical, General Midi impression.

This is an area that we all struggle. It takes allot of practice (and patience), but with the use of reverberation, volume fades, pan, EQ adjustments, a more realistic rich sound can be achieved.

Nice work!... a fun piece!

~Jeff

Thanks for your replies. I used the GPO Modern Orchestra, but used the strings, woodwind, and brass sections instead of individual instruments. Would breaking those down into individual instruments help with making it sound more realistic?

There's some decent tutorials on the Garritan website that help in this area.

Basically it employs the use of multiple layers of the same/similar voice. Each with it's own articulations, start and falloff.

For strings, I prefer using multiple "sections", whereas some may use numerous types of "solo" strings.

A quick test for yourself is to duplicate one of your GPO string tracks several times.(Ie: use various string types) stager each track so their start, end positions are slightly earlier/late. change their volumes, pan, Reverb, etc. settings

You'll notice an immediate difference.!

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by sandswillis
    Thanks for your replies. I used the GPO Modern Orchestra, but used the strings, woodwind, and brass sections instead of individual instruments. Would breaking those down into individual instruments help with making it sound more realistic?
    Jeff gave a very good response on this.

GPO uses a unique approach to sampling called ensemble-building where you create sections with individual instruments

In a real orchestra you often hear individual instruments weave in and out, each with its own unique voice and dynamic. The problem with unison section samples is that all the section players start and stop in lockstep and uniform dynamics across the board.

When each insrument has its own unique voice a tapestry of expression and color can be interwocen to produce more realistic results.

Here are the tutorials Jeff was referring to:
    http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Str...gTutorial.html
    http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Mas...s_Strings.html

Hope this helps,

Gary Garritan

The writing in this is quite, quite good, sandswillis... an excellent piece.

On rendering, others have commented aptly. All I will add is that, with
    time and practice, you will most certainly gain better control. Figure
    if I can get a half decent sound, most anyone can... lol.

On the performance, a practically perennial comment: I think you
    might benefit the piece by a bit more attention to the management
    of both tempi and dynamics.

I enjoyed listening to this, sandswillis. It is solid writing, beautifully
    done, and I look forward to hearing much more from you. Don't let the
    technical hurdles throw you, that will come -- far more importantly,
    the writing is able and skilled and well done.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thumbs up Re: Give me your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by sandswillis
    Ahhh, and what a great forum this is to have so many helpful knowledgeable members! The ensemble building tutorials are and excellent tool to help you render this exceptional piece to a more realistic orchestration! I can't wait to hear more of your work soon.
    Styxx

I agree with everyone here, the music, the writing is great. And like David says, the rendering with GPO takes time and practice to master. With every piece one does, one learns something new. If I might add, I think a softer reverb could be considered. I would soften the edges somewhat.

Great job .
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Jeff gave a very good response on this.

GPO uses a unique approach to sampling called ensemble-building where you create sections with individual instruments

In a real orchestra you often hear individual instruments weave in and out, each with its own unique voice and dynamic. The problem with unison section samples is that all the section players start and stop in lockstep and uniform dynamics across the board.

When each insrument has its own unique voice a tapestry of expression and color can be interwocen to produce more realistic results.

Here are the tutorials Jeff was referring to:
    http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Str...gTutorial.html
    http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Mas...s_Strings.html

Hope this helps,

Gary Garritan
    These are excellent tutorials Gary and someone put a lot of work into them. I assume you created them as I can only see Kevin Tweedy credited for help with editing on one of them.

If you didn't prepare these I would be interested in who did.....you are usually very free with giving credit and appreciation....so I'm guessing it was yourself.

Thanks

Frank

Go Back to forum