• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: What Are Your Writing Quirks?

Share/Bookmark

Arrow What Are Your Writing Quirks?

Mind you I'm the sanest, most normal fellow in this
    entire forum (to which all would surely attest).

But I do have the occasional, er... quirk or two.
    Just little ones.

For instance, I cannot write unless the back door
    is open. The outside door. I can't even see that
    from my desk, of course: it's around the corner,
    twenty feet away -- but there I am, even in the
    middle of winter, with the fireplace blazing and the
    back door wide open.

What are your writing quirks?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: What Are Your Writing Quirks?

hmmm...the only two coming to mind right now are that there can be no artificial light (other than the lights on the equipment and computer screen and since it's usually nighttime when I write, it's very dark in here!) and that the studio door must be closed.

Simple, I write the best whenever I have alot of caffiene in my system from mountain dew, my TV is on, my fans are spinning at their highest speeds and are rather loud, and I get dumped by a girl. Of course, the emotional trauma from the last part lasts only about 24-48 hours but that is when I typically come up with the new tunes. Generations, Travels, TWTChristmas, and Likos came about via this method...
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

I need a deadline and a mission. If I have those, I can squeeze out enough time and stop sleeping long enough to create completed works. Lacking those, I never seem to find the time to do more than doodle.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I need a deadline and a mission. If I have those, I can squeeze out enough time and stop sleeping long enough to create completed works. Lacking those, I never seem to find the time to do more than doodle.

Jon, Those are my sentiments almost 99% of the time.
    Occasionally, and I mean OCCASIONALLY, I get inspired to write for something that doesn't have a deadline or anything at all limiting or needed. But more often than not, I get inspired with the BEGINNINGS of something, and then I lose that inspiration soon after getting it down. I have a TON of beginnings and good ideas, but never have expounded upon those themes or ideas or developed them past the initial stages. Though annoying in never seeming to COMPLETE these ideas, I have learned to
    embrace that aspect of my life. There have been DOZENS of times when I have felt pressured to come up with something - when I just go and look at some of these undeveloped themes and I find one that works (or several) and go to town with them.

As far as external surroundings, I have to be in comfy clothes, something to sip on - juice, water or pop. And a bowlfull of Peanut M&M's helps for some odd reason. I also have a need for it to be relatively quiet. (quiet in the sense of not having things around that vie for my attention - phones, TV, beautiful baby daughter who wants to play on the keyboard with Daddy, etc. ) I think that I do much better in the hours from 10pm to 3-4am also. My creativity peaks during those hours.

Strangely too - i often get cool ideas when i just get out of the shower. I KNOW I am not the only one with that phenomenon.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Strangely too - i often get cool ideas when i just get out of the shower. I KNOW I am not the only one with that phenomenon.
    The shower is my secret source of ideas... It's a wonderful solitary think tank!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Does writing first drafts by hand, id est pencil and manuscript paper, (also away from the computer and the piano) count as a quirk?

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Other than sitting and listening to a single measure of music 600 times in a row, I can't think of a single thing.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Does writing first drafts by hand, id est pencil and manuscript paper, (also away from the computer and the piano) count as a quirk?
    Doesn't everyone do that?

Other than sitting and listening to a single measure of music 600 times in a row, I can't think of a single thing.
    No, that's normal. 601 times, however, would be sick.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

hmmm....

I like to be left alone... in other words DON'T BUG ME when I'm writing.

I also may start a piece, then let it sit for MONTHS, only to sit down and finish it in a flash... it's almost as if my mind works on it subconsciously in the interim.

I also have that "in the shower" inspiration thing... must help the ideas to "flow" LOL

Jeez, David... 2 a.m. and you're STILL up?

Go Back to forum