• Register
  • Help

Topic: Error when downloading instrument

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Error when downloading instrument

I have suddenly started receiving the following error when attempting to load some instruments in GS 3.12:

Error when downloading instrument: F:\Advanced Orchestra...
    Unknown system error.
    Would you like to continue with loading this performance?

If I say "OK" to continue loading the performance, then attempt to play the performance, the entire system crashes and the computer restarts. There doesn't seem to be any "pattern" to the files that will not load.

I have also tried deleting and reloading the samples from disc, then rebuilding the QS database -- makes no difference and error still occurs.

What is going on and how do I fix this?

Re: Error when downloading instrument

It seems that the file is corrupted. You might try loading it from a different CD/DVD drive and copying it across a network.

As a longshot, you could try opening it directly with the editor and saving it to a new copy. There's the off chance that it will open, and save it in a valid format. You never know!

Best of luck...

I get messages like that from time to time.

It usually means that I have a file, with a name that Giga doesn't like, in a folder that the QuickSound database monitors.

I had similar troubles when trying to load .gig files whose names had semi-colons in them, .gig files whose names had parentheses with internal spaces inside them, and .gig files that were marked "read only" in Windows Explorer.

If these trouble began after you recently added new files or folders to your QS database, focus on them first.
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Try opening it in the editor and then save a safe copy and try that one.

I believe that I've whittled down the circumstances where the problem is occuring. I do not think that it's a corrupt file or QS database weirdness as sometimes a particular file would load ok, sometimes not.

It seems to have something to do with the used memory being 66%. I have a system with 3 gig RAM. The memory manager seems to indicate that GS only uses something like 1.5 gig (is that correct, that GS refuses to use any more even if it's available???), so were that the case, that would explain why any instrument which would tip the memory used "over the edge" at just 66% used memory and would cause an error. At 66%, virtually nothing loads and all attempts to do so give the error described earlier. This may also explain why some smaller sounds would load and other larger sounds would cause an error - larger sounds would put it over the threshold, while smaller ones could creep closer without going over.

Can anybody affirm or deny my theory?

Got the link!
    http://www.musikbanken.se/gigastudio/

Read about it all there.

G'Luck!

Your theory sounds quite like the problem many have run into and fixed.
    This might be about the "3GB switch".
    I just tried to find the site with the info. for you but it is now password protected.
    I emailed the owner of the site requesting a password and will come back and post it if he responds.

I had a similar problem and now have my giga machine loading to 99%.
    With 2gb of ram installed.

Be patient ... it might take a few days but the information will be available.
    This problem is not totally unheard of and has been discussed at a few forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Got the link!
    http://www.musikbanken.se/gigastudio/

Read about it all there.

G'Luck!

Your theory sounds quite like the problem many have run into and fixed.
    This might be about the "3GB switch".
    I just tried to find the site with the info. for you but it is now password protected.
    I emailed the owner of the site requesting a password and will come back and post it if he responds.

I had a similar problem and now have my giga machine loading to 99%.
    With 2gb of ram installed.

Be patient ... it might take a few days but the information will be available.
    This problem is not totally unheard of and has been discussed at a few forums.
    Steve -- Are you referring to the page called "Registry Tweak?" (http://www.musikbanken.se/gigastudio/thetweak.htm) If so, I can access it no problem, but this gives instructions only up to 3 GB. Not really being a Windows user (except for Giga), I would be quite reluctant to to mess with the registry without explicit instructions as to what to do in my circumstance.

If you are able to locate any information with systems running 3 gig, I would most gratefully appreciate you posting that info!

Yes. The registry tweak. But you can use the downloadable tool to do it.
    I've done it to 3 machines and it's worked withoout any problems.

Up to 3GB = Up to and including 3GB as far as I've ever known.

PCs are able to be "imaged" i.e. you can make a total back up of your opperating system partiton.

That's what I do if I'm ever going to make any changes. Even when installing new software I image first and if it dosen't go well I just restore the image.

Yes. The registry tweak. But you can use the downloadable tool to do it.
    I've done it to 3 machines and it's worked withoout any problems.

Up to 3GB = Up to and including 3GB as far as I've ever known.
    That was a typo. I meant up to 2GB. But the tool should work up to 3GB, as well?

PCs are able to be "imaged" i.e. you can make a total back up of your opperating system partiton.

That's what I do if I'm ever going to make any changes. Even when installing new software I image first and if it dosen't go well I just restore the image.
    How is this done? Is it a third-party utility, or something that XP can do? (Sorry, I don't know much about Windows).

Yes. It works up to 3. All of the detailed instructions are written out on the site.

Go Back to forum