• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: anyone using AKG K271 phones?

Share/Bookmark

OT: anyone using AKG K271 phones?

Sorry for another thread on this but these just came on line for 30% off - AKG K271 Studio Closed Headphones.

I need the following features:

1. Closed back (no leakage)
    2. Flat response
    3. hours of comfort

--will this set do the trick or is there something else right now better (I have been using the Seinh. HD pro 280's and aside from being amped on the bass end, worked well to date.)

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: OT: anyone using AKG K271 phones?

Sennheiser HD580 Full-Sized Circumaural Headphone

These may be better for greater dynamic range of orchestral music. Any opinions on a $200 set

Sennheiser HD580 Full-Sized Circumaural Headphone

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Get Sennheiser HD600, get accustomed to them and you won't be sorry.

Senn's 580/600/650 (development advanced in this order with 580s being the first) are not closed. Plus I'd say you'll drive these only to the limits if you buy a decent headphone amp for them. Dunno about the AKG in that respect but people rave about both. Comfort with the Senn's? Attested - more than 1000 hours weared by me (and 2 new connector cables needed, lol).

So that's just my 2 cents,
    PolarBear

The Senn 650`s are amazing for checking mixs ....Rich

Thanks guys - I was afraid you would start to steer me towards the 600 and 650 ($$) - BUT - I don't buy phones all the time and would rather get the best I possibly can now. The headphone amp could be an issue as if necessary to have to run these higher end units - it makes the overall cost even that much higher.

I have MOTU 2408 MK3 as my main Daw sound card and plug my current Senn HD 280's directly into the phone output jack (has volume dial). Wouldn't that be enough for these higher end phones or do I need a $300 headphone amp to get the potential out of these higher end phone ? I would appreciate your opinion here.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    I have a couple pairs of AKG K270's here (similar to the K271, but slightly heavier). I like them for tracking. They're reasonably efficient, and not overly hyped. I don't do any critical mixing on them, but I will occasionally listen to a mix on them for a second or third opinion.

What are they actually selling these for? You might want to double check prices with Full Compass. Full Compass often has excellent prices on phones.

Lee Blaske

Lee - thanks - do you use a seperate headphone amp? If so, which one?

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

$$$ is not burning a hole in my pocket that is for sure but I wanted to know if I step up from the Senn HD 280 I have now (coming out of the MOTU 2408 HP jack) - what the total 'cost' would be (do I have to buy a special HP amp)

Thanks.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I use Sony MDR 7508's. Has all the features you require, for $100 or less. I've also heard these are excellent - http://futuresonics.vista.com/tab0/s...em_id%253D7xov

RB

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky B
    I use Sony MDR 7508's. Has all the features you require, for $100 or less. I've also heard these are excellent - http://futuresonics.vista.com/tab0/s...em_id%253D7xov

RB

Hi Ricky,

These seems to be more 'consumer' oriented. But I could be wrong. Has anyone used these to track and/or check mixes?

(I am really looking for a 'flat' response. So many consumer cans are spiked in the low and top end.)

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum