• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: CD Burning without gaps?

Share/Bookmark

CD Burning without gaps?

Greetings,

I'm actually asking this question for a non-musician friend:

He uses a PC to record and edit seminars and burns them to CD's. He uses some app to break up the resulting audio file into 10 pieces, so that the listener can return to various spots in the speech without having to start at the very beginning. Here's his problem: Currently he's tried several apps (like iTunes and Windows Media Player) to burn the CD. But when burning the CD, each of those apps puts a gap in between each cut. He says that he set iTunes prefs for it's smallest possible gap, but that it's still not satisfactory. Is there an inexpensive app that he can get (remember: PC only) that will burn a CD with little or no gaps between cuts? Thanks!

Re: CD Burning without gaps?

Nero has a 'no gaps' option. I don't know whether it works, because almost everything I ever burn has silence at the beginning and end of each track, so I wouldn't notice a bit more.

I know the whole Nero package isn't terribly inexpensive, but the SmartStart version comes as OEM software with almost everything.

You can do this with Easy CD Creator. It's not an option I've used so far, but it's there.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Audio CD, right? iTunes lets you set the inter-track gap to zero. It's probably in the advanced options under "burning". It does not let you specify a different gap for each track, like Toast does.

If he's playing mp3's in iTunes, there will be a gap between tracks. If his break-the-track-into-10-pieces app outputs mp3's, there will be gaps in playback, even if he burns the disc as an AUDIO CD.

The only way to get gapless playback in iTunes is to burn AIFF (or WAV) files that do not have gaps at the beginning or end of tracks, set the inter-track gap to zero, and burn them as AUDIO CDs.

Thanks everyone for your replies. My friend says that he did set the iTunes gap to zero in prefs, but that the end result wasn't good enough.

I'm not sure about your particular cd burning application, but you might check if there is a disc-at-once option versus track-at-once. IIRC, track-at-once burning adds 2 seconds between tracks...

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    My friend says that he did set the iTunes gap to zero in prefs, but that the end result wasn't good enough.
    I edited my post to add more info.

Amy,

Great info; thanks. Which audio format should he use so that the CD's will play on conventional car CD players and boomboxes?

Which audio format should he use so that the CD's will play on conventional car CD players and boomboxes?
    AUDIO. Burn as an audio disc, as opposed to a data disc. Use AIFF or WAV files as source rather than mp3's. And converting mp3's to WAV does not cut it. His track-breaky app must output AIFF or WAV files.

Thanks everyone for your replies. My friend says that he did set the iTunes gap to zero in prefs, but that the end result wasn't good enough.
    There may still be some cross-fading that is glitching the 0 sec transition. Toast does this very well.

DS

[Edit: I see amy's post covers what to do.]
    Damon Sink
    G5 Dual 2 GHz, P4 3.8GHz, Logic Pro 7, Digital Performer, EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP, VSL, Kontakt2, Finale

Go Back to forum