• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Chicago

Share/Bookmark

Chicago

I really can't find the time to produce anything worth listening these days , this is one of my very short exercises trying to get that "Chicago" sound out of Jabb

à bientot

Roberto

http://mio.discoremoto.virgilio.it/robsoggetti/Chic.mp3

click on "scarica"

Re: Chicago

Holy cow... excellent still again, Bob!

What a sound!

The one comment I'd make -- and I cannot
    exactly put my finger on it... something about
    the rhythmic emphasis seems very, very
    slightly off. It's very, very subtle, and I cannot
    quite identify it.

But that sound is top flight!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wow! It's over in just a few secs, yet leaves you feeling that you must get Jabb.
    Please post more when you complete it.

David

I'll echo that:

MUCH more!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Bob,

Yes, It's very, very good! It captures the "Chicago" style very well.

I think it's 90% there. Something still sounds just a LITTLE bit "off "to me, as well. Like the other commenter said, ... but I cannot figure out what it is.

Try an A/B comparison with some Chicago recordings. Maybe the answer will "jump out at you" and be more obvious after a few quick back-and-forth listens!

Nice work!

Jeepers! That's fantastic!

MORE or else

(please).

Thanks
    Jon

David (etLux) thanks as always for your appreciation, i'll check the rhythm of this, i guess you are referring to the rhythm balance between the elements of the rhythm session...

David (Leaf), thanks a lot for taking the time to listen

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Bob,

Try an A/B comparison with some Chicago recordings. Maybe the answer will "jump out at you" and be more obvious after a few quick back-and-forth listens!
    Thanks Glenn, that's just what i want to do!

Jon, i'm very glad you liked it!

my best

Roberto

Fantastic. I agree with David... or at least I think I do. The drum fill at the end of bar one doesn't sound quite right. Everything else sounds real to me.

Out of interest, which trumpet did you use, and what kind of velocity/mod levels did you use for the trumept part?

Rich

As a self-proclaimed super fan of Chicago I can make a couple suggestions although this is pretty good already.

The trombone is usually more prominent in the mix than the trumpet and you have that pretty close.

Something else they do is to double track each horn player and pan them left and right.

This is, of course, if you are trying to imitate Chicago the band. Otherwise ignore everything I just typed. :P
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler
    Out of interest, which trumpet did you use, and what kind of velocity/mod levels did you use for the trumept part?
    Rich, thank you, trumpet 1 & 4... here is a link to an picture i took of the screen in Logic, above you see the modulation data and below the pitch bend,

http://mio.discoremoto.virgilio.it/r...ti/ChicTpt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    The trombone is usually more prominent in the mix than the trumpet and you have that pretty close.

Something else they do is to double track each horn player and pan them left and right.
    :P
    very useful info, jesshmusic, thank you, i have fixed the drum fill, applied the panning and brought the bone out, i have also added some guitar... it's just for fun, after all

Roberto

http://mio.discoremoto.virgilio.it/robsoggetti/Chic.mp3

click on "scarica"

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast