• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How is KH Emerald's percussion?

Share/Bookmark

How is KH Emerald's percussion?

I need some more orchestra samples and am looking at this library. Timpani rolls and Cymbal rolls (specially crescendos on both) are pretty important. How are they? I have both Kontakt 2 and Giga 3, but am thinking getting the Kontakt since I have it on both my Mac and PC.
    Anyway, opinions on the percussion?

Re: How is KH Emerald's percussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sergievsky
    I need some more orchestra samples and am looking at this library. Timpani rolls and Cymbal rolls (specially crescendos on both) are pretty important. How are they? I have both Kontakt 2 and Giga 3, but am thinking getting the Kontakt since I have it on both my Mac and PC.
    Anyway, opinions on the percussion?

Hello.

Admittedly, the percussion in KHSO is not nearly as complete a set as the strings, brass and woodwinds. I only recorded the bare minimum to be able to create a full symphonic package rather than having only the strings, brass and winds.

Here is a list of recorded instruments:
    Pitched Percussion:
    Celesta
    Glockenspiel
    Harp
    Piano
    Tubular Bells
    Tympani
    Xylophone

Hits and Cymbals:
    Bass Drum.
    Gong.
    Snare
    Toms
    Various Suspended Cymbals
    Crash Cymbals
    Tambourine
    Jingle bells
    Dry click

tho' there are cymbal rolls, there are no timp rolls.

Thanks!

But in defense of extremely modest Kirk, what is there sounds FANTASTIC and is 100% useable. I have used the percussion in quite a few productions and they sound really good by themselves and in the final mix.

I highly advise Emerald as a purchase decision - you just won't find a better orchestral sample collection for the price - even if you add a comma - it still sounds fantastic against the big boys on the block.

Mike

There's good stuff in the percussion, just not a lot of it... The tymps can be very powerful, the bass drum is strong...

There's one demos that has some loud percusions playing some rythm in the back, i don't know what it is but i love it.

Kirk --the triangle --where's the humble little triangle?! Essential and hardly taxing to sample I suspect.

Thanks Kirk, and everyone. That's what I thought, and it probably won't deter me from getting it though. I'll look at some other percussion library that I can add to the Emerald.

Quote Originally Posted by dko22
    Kirk --the triangle --where's the humble little triangle?! Essential and hardly taxing to sample I suspect.
    I actually did record the triangle, but when I checked the samples, they had distortion. Sad, eh?

Kirk

Kirk, you sound serious --although my initial reaction is that you were taking the mickey! Never mind, I can always use a GPO triangle. Just wanted to tell you that I'm planning to upgrade from GPO in the next month or two (the strings and especially the solo strings are the big weakness to me) and Emerald is certainly the front runner at present. Hope you don't mind if I pester you with a few questions shortly to clarify a few things before making a final decision. I'm not someone that has the equipment or money to buy everything in sight so I want to get it right!

Quote Originally Posted by dko22
    Emerald is certainly the front runner at present. Hope you don't mind if I pester you with a few questions shortly to clarify a few things before making a final decision. I'm not someone that has the equipment or money to buy everything in sight so I want to get it right!
    Not at all...I'm always happy to answer.

Go Back to forum