• Register
  • Help

Topic: Prelude in C (Everyday Triumphs) Rough Draft

Share/Bookmark

Prelude in C (Everyday Triumphs) Rough Draft

Here is a rough draft of the third in my series of preludes (I stopped numbering them because who knows what order I will eventually put them in). The working title for this was “Everyday Triumphs”, but I feel it fits in better as part of the preludes than a stand alone piece.

Prelude in C Major

I’ll try to refrain from posting every minor update I make to this, which I’m sure there will be many.

Anyway, for reference, here are the other two, which have been previously posted:

Prelude in c minor
    Prelude in D Major

Let me know what you think.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Prelude in C (Everyday Triumphs) Rough Draft

Especially taken with the others, this is another fine prelude, Trent.

It presents a more subdued, searching, questioning aspect, in contrast with the sure-handed D Major and the elegantly flowing and self-assured C Minor.

Great work on these, Trent -- they're developing into a strong, well thought out collection.

With my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for listening David and for your comments.

I’m already looking at a few changes but I don’t think I will change the character too much. A few places are too choppy and the melody is often drowned out by the accompaniment. I’m also not sure how well the short middle section fits in. My composition instructor recommended, listening for the first time last night, thought maybe changing the block chord accompaniment for a variation on the five-tuplet background at the beginning. He also thought I should try a version with the arpeggio being the theme, like some of Bach’s preludes, just too see how it comes out. I’ll try it, but I do like how it sounds now, for the most part.

Thanks again for listening.
    Trent P. McDonald

I was listening with the understanding that this was an early draft, Trent; and that you would be doing your usual excellent job of worrying the details.

As ever, I stay out of the machinery as to how and what you write; but I will again say that I think the tenor and character of the piece is well chosen and fits well with the others.

To me, that's an important consideration. Often, sets of small pieces suffer from indistinction: if you've heard one, you might as well have heard the rest. That you are looking at these as interrelated will make the collection all the stronger.

I look forward to the completed version.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Very nice work!

I really enjoyed these.. All three arrangements are uniquely distinct, and well constructed.
    The contrasting mood and rhythmic flow of your later piece, would in my opinion, be best placed as the second prelude.... just sounds right to me.

Terrific work, Trent!

~jeff

Hi Jeff. Thanks for listening and for taking time to comment.

I'm going to wait until I have a few more of these (I'm going to see if I can do all 24 keys, maybe 25 with no key) before I decide the order. That being said, the latest one (C Major) was written with it being the first one in mind. I used a lot of dotted rhythms to give it a little bit of a French Overture feel. Well, a distant reflection of a French overture. I guess I need a fast, contrapuntal one in second place.

Thanks again for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent,
    Listened to this twice. A very enjoyable and well written prelude. It seemed to me to be a perfect blend of Chopin and Bach. Doing all 24 keys is ambitious and a cool project. Can't wait for c# minor, lol.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thanks Bill.

I don't know if I'll make it through all 24. Maybe spread out over a year or two. I do know I will have fun trying and hopefully learn a thing or two along the way.

As far as the C# minor goes, that may be next. I have C, c minor and D so I need to go back and fill in c# minor and Db. Either that or I'll wimp out and do G or F next. Maybe a minor.

Anyway, thanks for listening and your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum