• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Finale Pop Click Grind Stutter

Share/Bookmark
    Power Profile User

Finale Pop Click Grind Stutter

I've had a playback problem with Finale 2006C ever since I installed it. I've talked to a few technicians at Finale and I get different reasons from all of them. One of the reasons is that my sound card is too high-end. I have a M-Audio 1010LT and I don't think, although it's good card, it is by no means high-end, and how can a sound card be too high-end. In order for me to get the playback to start correctly I have to insert a bar at the beginning and end of the piece. It does all of the above including not recognizing a pizz. or any other articulation if it is on the first beat of the bar. But, as I said, it will play correctly if an empty bar is inserted in front of the piece. Sometimes the tempo speeds up somewhere in the middle of it and this can happen anywhere in the piece.
    My CPU is 3.20Ghtz
    the RAM is 3 Gigs with space for another gig but, I shouldn't think I needed any more RAM.
    The driver setting is ASIO - M-AUDIO Delta ASIO
    I've heard similar complaints at the Finale Forum but to my knowledge, this has never been resolved.
    I would be most grateful if someone could give me a clue to what's going on.
    Thanks.

B.D.

Unhappy Re: Finale Pop Click Grind Stutter

I have the same problems as you describe, also with Finale 2006C. It's a pain, for sure! I end up having to reboot to clear the problem temporarily but it comes back after a couple of time through the song I'm working on. I have 1.5GB memory, and a 3.05 Ghz CPU and an SB Audigy 2 ZS Pro sound card. I haven't talked to Finale at all because I've heard other people complain about this very same problem and the results they have NOT gotten from Finale support. I just keep booting away for now.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Power Profile User

Re: Finale Pop Click Grind Stutter

Misery likes company. I'm sure this is a bug somewhere, but instead of fixing it, we will pay for it with 2007. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe
    I have the same problems as you describe, also with Finale 2006C. It's a pain, for sure! I end up having to reboot to clear the problem temporarily but it comes back after a couple of time through the song I'm working on. I have 1.5GB memory, and a 3.05 Ghz CPU and an SB Audigy 2 ZS Pro sound card. I haven't talked to Finale at all because I've heard other people complain about this very same problem and the results they have NOT gotten from Finale support. I just keep booting away for now.
    Strange. I use F06c with 3 GB RAM (1.5 or 3 should not make a difference), a 3.2 P4 CPU with HT and a Audigy 2 ZS soundcard. Quite similar to your setup, but I have never seen this behaviour (Knock, knock ). Are you using the latest Audigy drivers?

Latest Audigy drivers, latest Windows patches, latest Finale updates, you name it, I keep my system as up to date as possible. I also have a M-Audio 2496 card that I run my sound through and still get the same results.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

I run a Dell Dimension 9150 with a dual-core 3.2G processor, 4G RAM, and Creative Labs X-Fi sound card, ASIO drivers.

That's a reasonably hefty box (so is Bob De Celle's) -- but I still have the problem with "Finale Whack-Bang" if I start a score with anything on the first beat or two of the first measure. Same thing on ending notes, last beat or two of the last measure.

Otherwise, F6C performs flawlessly -- I do *not* see the tempo problem Bob reports on his machine.

I *did* see the tempo problem on an earlier, much lighter machine -- it also sounded blurred... and in that case, it appeared to be the ASIO drivers for the Audigy Z in that machine (yes they were the latest drivers). In the player, I chose [don't remember which] a different driver and it performed well other than the Finale Whack-Bang Syndrome.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

FWBS is now recognized as a legitimate
    psychiatric disorder...

One of the main problems with the m-audio cards is that unless they're on their on irq, they're going to have a lot of pops and clicks... I would double check to make sure that the card isn't sharing an irq with another device, and if so, start changing pci slots until it winds up on its own irq... Anyway, just a suggestion...

Power Profile User

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    One of the main problems with the m-audio cards is that unless they're on their on irq, they're going to have a lot of pops and clicks... I would double check to make sure that the card isn't sharing an irq with another device, and if so, start changing pci slots until it winds up on its own irq... Anyway, just a suggestion...
    Thanks for the suggestion but my soundcard is on it's own IRQ.

B.D.

Bob,

Maybe I can help but I need a detailed look at how your PC is set up. If you click on the link to the download section of my site you will find a diagnostics program which you can download and install. Create a full report as a text file and email it to me.

http://www.avantech.co.uk/download.p...ref=0&subref=0

tony@avantech.co.uk

Power Profile User

Thanks , I downloaded the diagnostic file and just sent a report to you. It seemed to go OK, and I hope didn't overdo it. I have a similar program and I sent it to Finale, but they didn't get back to me. Thanks for you help. If you need anymoe information, although I don't see how there could be anymoe information that would not be on that report. Thanks again---

Bob De Celle

Go Back to forum