• Register
  • Help

Topic: Islands and Palms

Share/Bookmark

Islands and Palms

A few weeks ago, Hannes_F made a thread entitled "Has this been written?" He was unsure whether he had written the piece of music or was remembering something he had heard but unaware. I can certainly relate to that feeling of uncertainty, so if either of these or both sound like something already done, please let me know... better to find out now than after working on something for a long time.

This is somewhat lower quality than what is usually posted here, I'm just starting and learning, but I need some help. These are recorded directly from a Yamaha DGX-205 using it's instruments, a dual setting of french horn and slow strings, but it just sounds like strings.

I don't actually know how to read music, which was stupid for me to never have learned since Ihave always had music playing in my head, so I am learning now. When I used the scale with one flat, I had to google to find out what that was called and I don't know if this is 4/4 or something else, but I need to know that and I need to know what the tempo is on each one, it says 92 but I don't think that's right, I think you are supposed to set that first.

I need to know the time and tempo, so when I save a midi file everything will be in the right place with the right number of measures, etc., so I can then use notation to fix all the mistakes and to work on arranging and adding instruments, and to render using GPO. If anyone can tell me, I would be eternally grateful and I also welcome critique and advise.

There are alot of mistakes and also attacks where I needed notes to sustain (i have no peddle yet) or to blend smoothly without you hearing the attack... so try to picture the way they would sound being played by someone that knows how. There are some phrases on the first one, mostly at the begining, that are really for a mellow french horn rather than strings, but for me to get it all on a recording just to get started I had to do it that way.

I apologise for the low volume I don't know why it came out like that.

#1 size: 15,289k
    http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/Leaf...jor_prelim.mp3

#2 size: 9,167k
    http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/Leaf...jor_prelim.mp3

Re: Islands and Palms

Avoid writing harmony in a register that low. It produces an unpleasant, "muddy" effect. Perhaps try an octave higher and see how that sounds.

Obviously, if you intend to be a serious composer, you need to learn how to read music. That is a bare-bones necessity.

Without a doubt, most of the composers who contribute their original works to this forum have spent many weeks and months and years studying the many, many intricacies of their craft. It doesn't happen overnight, of course.

There are many good books on music theory, harmony, counterpoint, orchestration, etc. A Google search will turn up some ideas along this line.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks very much for your reply and advise, LGA That gives me the starting point for working on correcting the sound as soon as I get it on a midi file that has the correct time and tempo. I could tell it needed a lot of help on that end but didn't realize location could be part of the prob.

I'm enrolling into a beginning piano course to learn to read. I haven't talked to the instuctor yet, but from the course description i think it is for beginner having no previous experience, so i think it's focus will be reading or at least the basics of that. I have to check to make sure

I realize those who contribute here have spent many years studying and it certainly shows with the mastery of the stuff i have listened to coming from this forum. I want to learn from the best, and in my opinion this seems to be where Y'all congregate.

Leaf,
    Larry is right. Much of this could moved up an octave. Aside from that, this is a very interesting piece. I like it. I am wondering what you will be doing when you learn some more essentials, lol. Keep applying yourself to learning. Try this site http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Leaf,
    Larry is right. Much of this could moved up an octave. Aside from that, this is a very interesting piece. I like it. I am wondering what you will be doing when you learn some more essentials, lol. Keep applying yourself to learning. Try this site http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm
    Bill
    Thanks very much for that and thanks for the link, this site has everything and such a great layout, to find everything.

I'm most pleased to hear that you will be studying piano, Leaf, and learning to properly read music.

That will accomplish much toward answering many of your questions about tempo, meter, range, and so on.

But equally importantly, it means you will also be able to study the scores of others, especially the Masters -- which is assuredly one of the very best ways to learn the art of composition.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum