• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Get practice conducting a virtual orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Talking Get practice conducting a virtual orchestra

I saw this on tv and had to get a little more info. You actually get to conduct the orchestra with the help of a motion-sensing wand - so you actually do the conducting! Looks very fun! It's the 2nd video down, quality isn't that great but you'll see what I mean.

Video

http://www.nintendogal.com/

Article

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/wiimusicorchestra/news.html?sid=6150659

Steph

p.s. - it's for the Nintendo Wii (wee)

Re: Get practice conducting a virtual orchestra

Well, this is nothing compared to the real thing. When my band director is gone, I typically get to conduct (of course we lose the entire bass as half the band, including the tuba player, don't play when I conduct). I typically get yelled at because I try to follow the speeds in the music...can't I push them to full speed? Concert is in 2 weeks and we have been practicing for...3-4 months now?
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Well Geez louise CJ. I know that it's not like the real thing. Yeah, I'd conduct my highschool band every once in a while too. Yes, it was fun! It was great! I shared this because it was cute and looked fun. Then again, I'm a girl and I guess that's why I thought those things.

Steph

One thing I want to know about this is if it handles just 4/4 and 3/4 or does it also support others such as 2/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/8, etc...
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Having just taken a conducting class in my final semester of college, I can't help but nitpick all the people who try to play this Most folks just keep shaking it on every beat, pshh.

I'm a total sucker for flying games though, and that first video looks fun as all getout Really looking forward to the Wii (whee!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    Having just taken a conducting class in my final semester of college, I can't help but nitpick all the people who try to play this Most folks just keep shaking it on every beat, pshh.

I'm a total sucker for flying games though, and that first video looks fun as all getout Really looking forward to the Wii (whee!)
    Yeah, you're probably right! They probably are just shaking the stick around because I'm sure that most if not a single one of them have a clue how to conduct. It's nice to have a music based video game though, even if it's a little primitive. I know that if I were a lot younger, I would have had a blast with it. I still may get it anyway to keep my arm in shape! I was just happy to see something that wasn't violent and at least can get you moving instead of just sitting there doing almost nothing!

There are now two games that get you active to music. This and Dance Dance Revolution. Of course we all know how DDR ends up (especially for those that are reclusive and stick to their computer chairs like me...).
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    There are now two games that get you active to music. This and Dance Dance Revolution. Of course we all know how DDR ends up (especially for those that are reclusive and stick to their computer chairs like me...).
    There's actually quite a few out there There's also several guitar games, a drum kit one, a taiko drum game, a bongo drum game, a maracca shaker game, many voice-activated karaoke games The list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Well Geez louise CJ. I know that it's not like the real thing. Yeah, I'd conduct my highschool band every once in a while too. Yes, it was fun! It was great! I shared this because it was cute and looked fun. Then again, I'm a girl and I guess that's why I thought those things.
    Don't mind CJ. He's just young and doesn't know how to act. (I remember the days well!)

And where would we be without girls?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Smile Re: Get practice conducting a virtual orchestra

This is cool!! I agree that it's great to see original ideas for these systems. After watching it I thought it would be fun if someone would make an orchestra like this where each section responded to a midi track! (maybe a VST plugin) The ambience would be different depending on where you put the camera. Zoom in on a violin and it gets louder. Zoom to the back of the hall and get very high reverb. You could watch and listen to your composition.
    Thanks for the info,
    John

Go Back to forum