• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: other samples...

Share/Bookmark

other samples...

Hey everyone! I use the gpo lite with Finale(which works great by the way) and i want to know if i could load other instrument samples like the giovanni choir package into the kontakt player that comes with Finale 06. If this doesn't make sense to anyone, please let me know.

Re: other samples...

Quote Originally Posted by n3wman918
    Hey everyone! I use the gpo lite with Finale(which works great by the way) and i want to know if i could load other instrument samples like the giovanni choir package into the kontakt player that comes with Finale 06. If this doesn't make sense to anyone, please let me know.
    You cannot load non-GPO instruments into the GPO Kontakt Player. The player is designed to be used ONLY with GPO patches. And in your case, only within Finale 2006.

That being said, if you have Kontakt, or Kontakt 2, (or any other Native Instruments-based sample player like Kompakt, etc) you can load Giovanni into it and use it within Finale 2006. But it cannot be a sample library-based player. (I.e. GPO Kontakt player, or EWQL Silver Kompakt player). Those players only play the instruments they were designed to load. It has to be the standard Kontakt sampler, Kompakt sampler, etc. to do what you are wanting to do.
    But if you do have any of those other NI based sample libraries - you can use them in Finale. but it HAS to be a NI sample library. The only problem is that each has different definitions for what Continuous Controller data does to them. (CC) You have to know each library's CC definitions very well to be able to manipulate them within Finale. Someone else can help explain what some of the different CC definitions might be between libraries, etc.

Hope that helps!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

thanks for the reply! So are you saying even with a separate kontakt player that can play for example, Giovanni, it would still sound "off" without a lot lot of knowldge on manipulating?

sorry for the double post. Would i have to get the full kontakt player for the full version of GPO and how big is the difference between gpo and the lite version?

sorry for the double post. Would i have to get the full kontakt player for the full version of GPO and how big is the difference between gpo and the lite version?
    Kontakt PLAYERS are specific to the sampleset they are shipped with. You can only use a PLAYER for the samples it was released for. Buying the full version of GPO will get you a kontakt PLAYER for GPO, but in order to play any kontakt-format samples, you will need the full SAMPLER version of Kontakt, not just a PLAYER.

I know it's convoluted, but does that make sense?

No - actually, Full GPO comes with its own GPO Kontakt player, just like the Finale GPO did. The Bundled GPO Player that comes with Full GPO is better suited, In my opinion, to play the GPO instruments than standard Kontakt sampler because many of the controllers are already programmed for you - no need to tweak this or that to make it perform the way it already does in the GPO Kontakt player.

The differences between the Finale version of GPO and the full GPO are MAINLY in that there are more instruments in GPO, but, there are some unique features and instruments to the Finale version that GPO does not have.
    FOR EXAMPLE:
    Finale's legato CC and the sustain pedal CC are separate. In GPO Kontakt, they are not - you have to choose which you want. So that is a big plus in the Finale column.

When I said that things might not be very easy to manipulate, I was referring to the fact that Finale's Midi editing has never been EASY - it is powerful - but not very easy to do anything with any kind of speed and efficiency

GPO Finale edition was programmed to work TOTALLY in harmony with Finale. Giovanni WILL work just fine - how hard it is to manipulate it depends upon how many different CC it has.

Hope that helps.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon

I know it's convoluted, but does that make sense?
    Thanks Jon,

That is what I was attempting to say - should have said. But afte being up for 36 hours, I can't be expected to be all there.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

thanks for the replys everyone, some really informative stuff. I have a midi file of somethingi have been working on for a game and i plan to post it alittle later and would like to know if the full version has the sounds that i used through midi format, for instance, the accessories channel which has great percussion sounds.

almost forgot, what sample library would be perfect for the accesories channel if it's not in GPO? Sorry for all the questions.

Ive made my decision and i'm going to buy the full version of GPO but before i do, i would like to know what the difference between the white box (version1?) and the other one. I'm assuming the second version has all the updates but couldnt i just get the updates off the site as well after i install the original version? It comes with its own Kontakt player correct?

Go Back to forum