• Register
  • Help

Topic: John Carey - Op. 5, Piano Concerto in C# Minor

Share/Bookmark

John Carey - Op. 5, Piano Concerto in C# Minor

Hello all,

I believe this is my first contribution to this forum. I look forward to meeting all of you!

If anybody has any feedback regarding my use of GPO, please don't hesitate to tell me.

Downloads:

Movement 1 - http://www.johncareycompositions.com...oncerto1-1.mp3

Movement 2 - http://www.johncareycompositions.com...oncerto1-2.mp3

Movement 3 - http://www.johncareycompositions.com...oncerto1-3.mp3

If you enjoyed this, please visit my website at www.johncareycompositions.com.

Best regards,
    John Carey

Re: John Carey - Op. 5, Piano Concerto in C# Minor

A warm welcome, John!

And many congratulations on a major achievement and a fine concerto.

An interesting blend of styles, with the shifting tonal traditions and
    the often richly Romantic melodic writing in contrast. I found the third
    movement most intriguing in this regard -- perhaps you will make the
    score available to us.

Excellent work!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wonderful work John!

The Romantic influence is clearly noticeable. (yet a touch of contemporary)
    Allot of attention to detail... and a nice sense of buildup. (Especially your 1st movement.. Great pacing)

I might bring forward the piano. and perhaps back off slightly on the reverb.

I particularly enjoyed your 3rd movement...Great energy there!.. and some very nice harmonic shifts.

Terrific work!

~Jeff

Well, I've only managed to download and listen to the first movement.

Incredible. An epic/late romantic piano concerto. Isn't GPO grand! And I got to listen to it! Think of that!

I like the first entries of the piano - the piano seemed like an extension of the orchestra and blended in sublimely, rather unexpected. The romantic climax was riveting. Scattered throughout were some nice moments.

Now about that performance - well who cares really. The composition is just great.

I would prefer the piano to be brought out in front, right next to the audience. Do you know how to do that? As it is now, it sounds more like a symphonic work with the piano just another instrument.

I'll wait for the audience to finish clapping before I listen to the 2nd and 3rd movements ...

YBaCuO

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments,

David:

I'm glad you enjoyed the work. Perhaps eventually, I will make the score available, but for the time being, I plan on publishing the work before sharing the written music in any form.

Jeff:

Thank you very much! I also feel that the third movement is the strongest of the work.

YBaCuO:

I'm not sure how to bring the piano out front. I didn't realize this was possible, and I'm sure it would make the overall sound much better. If you could explain how I could go about doing this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Best regards,
    John Carey
    Please visit my website - www.johncareycomposer.com

Well, I've only downloaded the first movement. I'll listen to the rest when I have more time, but here's what I've to say.

Simply wonderful. Your orchestration is great, and I love the mixture of the different styles here. The piano writing is very beautiful. However, I would say that the piano should be louder and stand out a bit more. After all, you are showcasing the virtuosity of the piano in a piano concerto, right? Let those keys project into the entire concert hall with their super-steinway-ish power! Of course, a bit less reverb could potential help as well (are you using the GPO studio?)

I can't wait to hear the rest of this though!

-Cata
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm
    Well, I've only downloaded the first movement. I'll listen to the rest when I have more time, but here's what I've to say.

Simply wonderful. Your orchestration is great, and I love the mixture of the different styles here. The piano writing is very beautiful. However, I would say that the piano should be louder and stand out a bit more. After all, you are showcasing the virtuosity of the piano in a piano concerto, right? Let those keys project into the entire concert hall with their super-steinway-ish power! Of course, a bit less reverb could potential help as well (are you using the GPO studio?)
    Thanks much! Yes, I am using GPO studio, but I think I'll keep the reverb setting I have it on. It took me many attempts before I was able to record each movement without any software problems (cut outs, pops, etc.) and I really don't want to go through that again!

Best regards,
    John Carey
    Please visit my website - www.johncareycomposer.com

Go Back to forum