• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A guaranteed job as a composer

Share/Bookmark

Cool A Guaranteed Job as a Composer

Hey everybody!

I'm no longer a hobbyist. I'm a professional composer! And I didn't have to move to Hollywood or sell my soul to get here. Here's the story:

I started a company with my son to make films for the Internet. He films and edits the movies. I compose the music and do the web programming.

The company is Poorly Projected Pictures.

We make action film parodies. You can see the films and hear my music at ColonelCrush.com

"But", you ask, "how do you make money?"

Here's what we do:
    * We stream the videos to PCs for free
    * We sell the videos for download to your portable media player for $1.98
    * We sell T-Shirts, based on our characters
    * We plan to sell compilation DVDs
    * We plan to sell short video ads to run before the streams
    * We have a forum about filmmaking and the Colonel Crush series, and will eventually sell ads. We will target video game and video equipment companies. (BTW, my username on the forum is "The Elder".)

We just went live on Saturday, and the site is solid. Now we're starting to promote it. We'll put the trailers on Google Video, iTunes and You Tube. We're confident that it will take off.

Here's the deal: Anybody who wants to compose for film could find some amateur filmmaker who wants to go pro and do the same thing.

I've read that highly targeted video ads are the top earning ads on the Internet. For instance, you could create an outdoor Web show about fishing and sell ads to boat makers and tackle companies. Or make snowboarding movies and sell ads to snowboard manufacturers and resorts.

Anyway, check out what we've done, come up with something even better and go for it! You don't have to look for a job. These days you can make one!

Re: A guaranteed job as a composer

Intuition tells me one wouldn't be able to make much money with such a plan... but perhaps I am wrong. Good luck with it, the website looks nice!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Smile Re: A guaranteed job as a composer

I watched the 1st one, the outtakes are actually more entertaining than the
    movie itself....
    I guess it's worth watching the movies just for the outtakes,
    maybe that's how this could become successful.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Intuition tells me one wouldn't be able to make much money with such a plan... but perhaps I am wrong. Good luck with it, the website looks nice!
    The plan can definitely make money, IF the videos create a very large following. The brothers that create the JibJab cartoons were plugging along until their "This Land" anamation video caught on during the '04 election. Their next video release was actually broadcast on national TV and they ended up getting lots of endorsments and even a toy deal.

Good luck Jon!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    How much money have you made?

Lee Blaske
    We've made some sales through word of mouth. But we only launched Saturday, I only now announced it here, and we're not even listed in Google yet.

The correct question is how much money WILL we make. We will see...

My sons are both into Red vs. Blue, which is a web video series based on video edited from Halo 2 clips with voiceovers. Their content really stinks in my opinion (no music, weak scripts, unrecognizable characters, no emotional expressions), yet, according to my son, they fund eight people full time strictly from merchandise sales. (No ads.) They've since launched two new series.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Hi Sean,

Here's some research from Insight that claims that the streaming market in the US will reach $27B by 2011. The operators will need content, and, as has often been said, "content is king".

http://www.insight-corp.com/pr/04_20_06.asp

There's certainly money to be made. The question is whether we can attract enough viewers to make it.

Fortunatley, monthly server costs scale with viewers, and our fixed expenses are low, so the downside isn't bad, and the upside is qute good.

Re: A Guaranteed Job as a Composer

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I'm a professional composer!
    Well done Jonny!!! Jolly good!

Congratulations Jon,

The people who sat on the wings at Kitty Hawk didn't get anywhere, but the Wright Brothers finally got off the ground anyway.

Whether or when you take off is not as important as that you are willing to keep on persuing it.

Best of luck to you - I know you have persistence.

jamiha

Thumbs up Re: A guaranteed job as a composer

Jon, apart from of how this may turn out for you in the long run, I admire your determination and positive attitude! I wish you all the luck and good fortune as a professional composer! I think this is absolutely fantastic!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by awpmusic
    so.....do all the actors & crew get paid - or just the composer - a sort of role reversal movie?
    There's a wonderful irony in this, AWP.

Still, wait until Jon's son starts telling him there no money in the budget, and will he do the music for the 'fame', and the director wants the music to sound like this movie, and etc, etc,...................!

The very best of luck with this Jon.

Regards,

Alex.

Go Back to forum