• Register
  • Help

Topic: And many thanks to Jerry Wickham!

Share/Bookmark

And many thanks to Jerry Wickham!

I haven't finished all the web stuff for the new audio CD course, but I wanted to mention that with the exception of the introduction and conclusion, all of the bed music was provided to me by our very own Jerry Wickham! It's synthy rather than orchestral stuff as that's what I wanted for this project, and I love what he did with it.

I'll have stuff updated on the site soon to list him in the credits & link to him. Hopefully it'll generate some composing work for him to help buy all the new toys I know he wants to get for Claire!

Some of the other folks here worked with me on bed music as well, and hope to be using that on subsequent CDs.

Thanks, Jerry - you rock!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: And many thanks to Jerry Wickham!

Jerry's a great guy!

Jerry is awesome!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan

Thanks, Jerry - you rock!
    Aw Shucks, Chris!

I should thank you!!! That was probably the funnest week of music-making I have had in a LONG time. It was so much fun exploring the non-classical, non-orchestral side. A side I RARELY let out, and then, not really since I was a teen. In addition to synths, (I did play keys in a high school rock band) I also play guitar and, as many of you surely did, had dreams of becoming a pop/rock star.

This all happened right as I got addicted to Apple's Garageband, where it is VERY easy to put together riffs, loops, and other components of music. I then let a select few listen - one was Christopher after he asked for more pop-rock oriented stuff. I had created an orchestral kind of intro for what I thought he was looking for before he pointed me in the direction he wanted.

The hardest part about bed music is you have to have a really good hook in the first 5-8 seconds, and then bring it down to a pretty repetetive, and boring main structure, for 5 minutes or so, and then have a nice ending.

Cranking out 10-15 of those in a few days was challenging. Challenging in finding ways to NOT have every other song sound like the last one you did.

Thanks Chris. YOU ROCK!! You certainly have done your fair share of trying to help us all out here!!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

P.S. Here is wishing you the very best of success on your new business venture! Those classes sound very interesting!!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thumbs up Re: And many thanks to Jerry Wickham!

Ya know what? Jerry is the best. Way to go Jerry!

Now, what he do?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    The hardest part about bed music is you have to have a really good hook in the first 5-8 seconds, and then bring it down to a pretty repetetive, and boring main structure, for 5 minutes or so
    Yeah, I'm really happy with the way you did that. Each section opens up with a hook, and then it drops down out of sight. Much better than what I do, which is far too busy for the task at hand.

If you guys want to hear some examples of the hook / dropdown thing, there are a few mp3 snippets on the tracks page at:

www.practicalstrategyconsulting.com/AudioClasses.aspx

It gives a little excitement to the beginning of each track, and then provides a little atmosphere for the voiceover. Now if only I had a voice like Charlie...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

BRAVO JERRY!!!

Go Back to forum