• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Story Of The Jovaluna & Vienna Instrument

Share/Bookmark

The Story Of The Jovaluna & Vienna Instrument

The "Jovaluna" is a 12 string fourth guitar, which I invented two years ago when I started the composition of a suite for guitar and strings.
    The name of the suite is "mare.lunare" ("seas of the moon"). In the age of Kopernikus the people thought the dark areas on the moon are seas. And since this time the name of these spots are names of seas.

I took 5 of them and composed a suite

"mare.lunare"
    mare.tranqulitatis – Sea of tranquility
    mare.nubium – sea of clouds
    mare.frigoris – sea of coldness
    lacus.somniorum – sea of dreams
    oceanum.procellarum – ocean of storms

Today we know in reality the seas of the moon are are dry areas of sand and stones.

It was my aim that the whole composition should swing with the moon, with the sound of the moon.
    The sound of the moon is based on the standard pitch of the barock epoque, an "A" with a frequency of 420.837 Hz, a "gis" today, not a really important tone.
    Where did this freuqency come from full moon to full moon is called synodical month: 29d 12h 44m 2,8s == 2551442,8 seconds.
    If we errect 30 octaves on this base (the middle of human audibility) we get the standard pitch of the ancient music!
    So I ordered a special fourth guitar by the german guitar maker Frank-Peter Dietrich. He has the order to build this instrument where ever it is possible from occidental woods & material.
    The whole instrument should swing base on "A" (the guitar swings on "E").
    The strings used has been made of carbon fibres & has been developed by Hannabach in Germany.
    The tuning of the strings is A-A, D-D, c-c, e-e, a-a, a perfect fourth higher then the classical guitar.

In Heinz Irmler, Professor for classical guitar on the University for Arts and Music in Graz, Austria, the Jovaluna found his congenial performer.

Since 2004 "mare.lunare" for Jovaluna and Strings public performances with several string orchestras and conductors in Austria, Czech Republik & Hungaria but no recording.

3 weeks ago I bought Orchestrl strings I & II from Vienna Symphonic Library and performed in my studio in Vienna the first movement of "mare.lunare"
    called "01.mare.tranquilitatis" using the orginal Overture 4 score. The necessary articulations for Vienna instruments I did within a day. It was a pleasure.
    I exported the MIDI to Ableton Live 5.2.
    Heinz Irmler came to my studio with Jovaluna. He got earspeakers & and I conducted the virtual string orchestra & Heinz
    by tapping Ableton Live.

Ja, the result is not perfect, but it gives an idea how the co-operation of live solo instrument & virtual orchestra can work together
    Please listen & tell me please what you think or suggest.

http://music.v4m.net/ove4/Pesec_1_Ma...quilitatis.mp3

"01.mare.tranquilitatis" is a hommage to Johann Pachelbel & uses the structure of his famous "Canon".

But the Jovaluna & the strings swings with the sound of the moon, an A with 420.837 Hz.
    (During the public performances the Jovaluna & strings used the standard tuning of 440 Hz).

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

Re: The Story Of The Jovaluna & Vienna Instrument

Augh!!! Jovan, this piece could be SO nice if you just do two SIMPLE things only:

1) Select ALL the midi notes and increase their durations so that VI plays the part legato; The spaces between the notes of the strings sounds unnatural, and that's so easy to avoid just by making the notes overlap slightly! Use Universal mode.
    (IF what we hear is the effect you are going for however, then you need to use a different articulation, detache perhaps.)

2) Use the expression pedal (or draw in some controller 11 automation in your sequencer) to modulate the strings a little

My 2 cents.

First thank you very much for you comment

Quote Originally Posted by jloeb
    Augh!!! Jovan, this piece could be SO nice if you just do two SIMPLE things only:

1) Select ALL the midi notes and increase their durations so that VI plays the part legato; The spaces between the notes of the strings sounds unnatural, and that's so easy to avoid just by making the notes overlap slightly! Use Universal mode.
    (IF what we hear is the effect you are going for however, then you need to use a different articulation, detache perhaps.)
    My goal was not to achieve a full rich legato sound.
    The moon is not a nicely moon, itsatmosphere is thin, its surface consists of sand & stones...
    I tried to achieve a more or less "hollow" sound with some edges.
    I used on all string instruments two matrices: L1 Articulation combi & L1 Perf-Legato Speed+Porta.
    The articulation used are: trem_sus, staccato_long, detache short, sus_vib, nearly all articulations of the matrices have been used.
    But to get a "hollow" sound the velocity of the notes is allways below 80.
    And legato is played only on the positions, where I thougt it should be.
    It is my composition & my interpretion of it.
    Your's may be completely different.
    But the concert consists of five movements, and live & power, full legato, full rich sound is coming.
    It was not my intention to shot the whole powder in the first movement.

It is allwys very interesting to listen to the published pieces of users of sound libs. The prefer rich, full, thick sound in order to simulate a real orchestra.
    But a virtual orchestra will never be a real orchestra. Maybe some unexpierienced auditors will not hear thew difference, the expert will allways know to what he is listening.

Quote Originally Posted by jloeb
    2) Use the expression pedal (or draw in some controller 11 automation in your sequencer) to modulate the strings a little

My 2 cents.
    Autsch!!! (I think this is the translation of "Augh" into German)
    I aggree, this will bring more live into the strings. If you wish it.

I'm sure I have a lot to learn to improve my performance with VI.
    Have you performed some pieces with VI & may I listen to it?

Thanks.

Not yet!! I have just received my copy of VI Solo Strings this week and I am learning how it works in detail. I have noticed in noodling around with it though that Universal mode makes it quite easy to achieve a certain level of realism.

I experimented with the "Universal Mode" too, in some instances it is easier to work with it. But it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
    If you need additional articulations in a piece (pizzikato, tremolo, fp, sfz, ponticello etc.) you will very quickly run out of memory with a WindowsXP PC (I have one with 2 GByte RAM) if i produce a string orchestra score (2222), like I have in "mare.lunare".
    Compared with VSL & GigaStudio 3 VI has the following disadvantage: Scores which use many articulations I have to work out & record instrument by instrument (track by track) because of the high memory consumption & put them all together with SONAR 4 or Audobe Audition 2.
    I hope Windows Vista will solve this problem.

KR

Go Back to forum