• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best acoustic dry modern pop drums?

Share/Bookmark

Best acoustic dry modern pop drums?

I'm looking for some decent dry acoustic pop drums, for some modern piano-based pop music with female vocals. I am looking for a dry studio in-your-face feel (eg, I gave this example before, and I'll give it again www.luciesilvas.com - listen to the drums).

The only thing I have found is "Spectrasonics Backbeat" which was used on Delta Goodrem's "Innocent Eyes" album. But I can't seem get them to sound as good tonally as they do on her album.

Other samples, like Big Fish Performance Drums, and most other kits and loops, either have too much reverb or not real sounding enough.

If anyone has first-hand experience with some decent dry pop loops/drums, or knows how to "fatten" them up to sound commercial, ideas are deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Best acoustic dry modern pop drums?

Hi Matt,

you know NS_Kit7? The full version comes with 5 DVDs and many playing techniques/velocities. It is a heavy-weight on your HDD (I think 18 GB) and in your RAM. As a professional the price isn't an issue for you, but it costs only £50.00. (BTW: I think the free version isn't a "fair amount" of the full kit or representing it, don't be affected) And I think it works with many styles - most of the kit parts are played with hands, mallet, brush and sticks which offers a flexibility.

Maybe another very good library is "Scarbee Imperial Drums XL". But I can't say anything about it because I don't have it. But the demos sounds great.

BTW: Do you need a singer/guitarplayer? *kidding* (No one needs singers/guitarplayers.)

Regards

Kai

Hi ya,

Thanks for that.. I'm not sure if the ns_kit has the sounds for this sort of commercial pop. Whilst it sounds real, the tones are good for metal or live tracks.

You can hear what I am talking about if you go here: www.luciesilvas.com , and listen to "Breathe In" or "Last Man Standing". The drums have an "in your face" fat commercial sound. That's what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Hi,

NYC Drumworks loops are great, although the beats need to be corrected here and there. Drums on Demand is also good for loops. You have the option to get them in REX format (REX2 these days I believe), which means you can just dump them into your project and the loop will adjust to your tempo based on its own quantization. I use them all the time for simple, dry drums, and it's REALLY easy to get an arrangement going quickly.

Dan

I've only just started getting acquainted with Larry Seyer's Acoustic Drums, but I am completely overwhelmed by the sheer number and diversity of available sounds.

Being able to hit (L and R hand) in different "zones" on each (virtual) drum head makes for more varied playing, and better avoidance of the "machine-gun effect" during rolls.

The LSAD promo video (showing the general layout of the software) can be seen here:Here you can watch a fun video demonstrating "live" playing (sort of the drum-equivalent of the mind-bendingly cool Prominy LPC Guitars video from a short while back). The arrangement here (i.e., everything other than the drums sounds) is a little bit cheesy, but the playing is — and, more importantly, the drum sounds are — quite impressive:There are a number of small room-type reverb convolutions available, and you are given the option of a dry (essentially reverb-free) sound as well.

The only potential "limitation" is that it's Giga-only.
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

And appearently Giga 3 only?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    And appearently Giga 3 only?
    Yes, that's correct... scroll to the last answer on:

http://www.larryseyer.com/content/view/28/53/

Seems to me if one is willing to put up with Giga and it's attendant "issues," it would be worth upgrading to version 3 with whatever benefits it has over the earlier version...

...mind you, I can also understand wanting to stick with the last Giga version that you got stable...

...on the other other hand, if even *I* could get Giga 3.12 to settle down (or, at least, so it seems most of the time), after all of the hellacious problems that I had at first, then most everyone ought to be able to as well...

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Yes. This is the first library in a long time that got me thinnking of upgrading to G3 again.
    But still ... it seems not enough incentive as I've just heard too many horror stories to try it.

And I've got 2.5 working like a nuclear power plant. 99% memory usage and rock solid .... so ... hummmm ....
    The real question is do I want to risk the torture<G>

Hi,

Thanks for all those replies! I had considered those libraries before, Larry Seyer, Drums on Demand, and NYC DW are all great, but not the right sound for this commercial pop. Try playing the drum demos ontop of the pop tracks I mentioned (www.luciesilvas.com), you'll see what I mean. The most important tones are the bass + snare as they are the most heard.

In each of these drum sample libraries, the snare and bass drum have their own distinct tones which sit out of the mix. If you listen to the track intros of the drums on Lucie's tracks (www.luciesilvas.com), you can hear they have a less individual personality, but instead, they re-inforce the personality of the music. Whilst I could get one of these acoustic drum libraries and accentuate or decrease the visibility of tones which already exist in samples, I can't alter the sound.

I'm not trying to duplicate lucie's music, but once I have something close, the same techniques can be used to make new commercial pop music which has the same quality of sound..

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the drums on Lucie's album are mixed with synth percussion. Or maybe some of the bass drum is a synth. Or maybe each hit is compressed, and the tails cut off to make it all upfront.

Thanks for the suggestions though, and If anyone has insight into how to get that up front commercial sound..

Toontrack's Drumkit From Hell Superior or Custom And Vintage. You have total control of all mic bleed settings and ambience tracks. Most of the demos have an ambient sound, but don't be fooled- you can dry those suckers up into total 70's submission. Add compression and you're there. And with a selection of something like 19 snares, 12 kicks and 10 tom sets (between the two packages) I bet you can find the exact sound you are looking for.

The new EZDrummer might work for you as well- the sounds are already processed with a pop-style compression, and the ambient mics can still be mixed out.

(BTW, I listened to five songs on that girls site and not one of them seemed to have a drum anywhere...)

Go Back to forum