• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQLSO Gold vs. GigaStudio 3 Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

EWQLSO Gold vs. GigaStudio 3 Orchestra

Right now you can buy GigaStudio 3 Solo for $79 and then upgrade to GS3 Orchestra for $349. That is a total price of $428, which is a little bit cheaper than EWQLSO Gold.
    Here's the pricing information: http://www.tascamgiga.com/pricing.html

GS3 Orchestra seems to consist of samples from VSL, Sonic Implants, Project SAM and some more. As far as I know, these are all fine libraries, but since GS3 Orchestra only contains a selection of samples from these libraries I wonder if the number of articulations is satisfying, or are they just like demo versions of the complete libraries?
    Here's the link: http://www.tascamgiga.com/libraries.html

I am about to purchase my first orchestral library/sampler and I don't want to be forced to buy additional expensive libraries like Sonic Implants or VSL to get anywhere with my orchestrations.

Are there any other disadvantages/advantages with GS3 Orchestra that I should know about? I want to be able to see video within the application as I score the video. I already have Cubase SL 2.0 for that. Can I run GS3 in Cubase? Would EWQLSO Gold be a better buy? I know that EWQLSO Gold does not have any piano or choir samples so I guess I would have to buy additional libraries for those if I were to purchase Gold. I have been told that I could buy EWQLSO Silver and upgrade to Gold. Does that mean that I would get two stand alone licenses (Silver and Gold) for the total price of Gold? That would be interesting since Silver contains choir samples, and maybe piano as well?

I'm greatful for all the help I can get with my decision. I want an affordable library that can take me as far as possible without the need for additional libraries for a start.

Pardon my english, I'm not a native speaker.

Re: EWQLSO Gold vs. GigaStudio 3 Orchestra

GS3 Orchestra is the high end version of the Gigatudio sampler. EWQL Gold is the mid range version of an orchestra library. GS3 includes some libraries with it (just like kontakt and i'd imagine Halion do as well). So you're comparing 2 different things.

Gold comes with its own sampler but you can also use Gold in the full version of Kontakt as well which is likely prefereable. Gigastudio is a different beast altogether when it comes to hardware - it likes its own dedicated machine - sometimes does not run nicely with other software on a pc. You can use rewire if you use it on the same machine as the host program but i had not much luck with that overall so moved it to a second machine by itself, i'm sure its fine for others. If you use it with a second machine, you then have to work on a method to get the audio to your first machine to mix it. There are software options and hardware options for that. If you're not rewiring it and have it on the second machine, then you need to think about a special GSIF compatible audio card (or if you're running the FX tools for audio over the network, you wouldnt need that card - as they provide a virtual one).

Gold would be a more extensive orchestra library overall than what is included in GS3.

steve

I think that you're comparing apples with oranges. EWQLSO sounds different to SI or VSL, so the most important thing is to decide which library you like the sound of, and then worry about the sampler. If you like EW then Gigastudio is a waste of money for you, because it doesn't work with EW.

D

The thing is I like the sound of both SI, VSL and EWQLSO. I realise they sound different from each other but I think they're all good in their own way. I would however like to hear some audio demos of what you can achieve with GS3 Orchestra. There is no demos on their web site. I have listened to demos of VSL, SI and Project SAM however but I don't know how much of that is included in GS3 Orchestra.

To me it sounds like EWQLSO is easier to work with and it seems like it's easier on the computer as well. Am I right? I don't want to have to buy an additional computer right away so I guess GS3 would be a bad choice for me. I like all the other libraries that EW has to offer and I will likely buy some of those in the future so maybe it would be best to go for EWQLSO and buy the Kontakt sampler in the future.

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Stagwall
    The thing is I like the sound of both SI, VSL and EWQLSO. I realise they sound different from each other but I think they're all good in their own way. I would however like to hear some audio demos of what you can achieve with GS3 Orchestra. There is no demos on their web site. I have listened to demos of VSL, SI and Project SAM however but I don't know how much of that is included in GS3 Orchestra.

To me it sounds like EWQLSO is easier to work with and it seems like it's easier on the computer as well. Am I right? I don't want to have to buy an additional computer right away so I guess GS3 would be a bad choice for me. I like all the other libraries that EW has to offer and I will likely buy some of those in the future so maybe it would be best to go for EWQLSO and buy the Kontakt sampler in the future.

Thanks a lot!
    I would say that the samples included with GS3 are not extensive enough for your purposes. Have you looked at Kontakt 2? I hate it, but there are many people who swear by it, and the sounds that come with this sampler are definitely worth the money. Also, you will be able to load EWQLSO into it (and SI and VSL, with a little bit of work) as well.

However, be warned that the future of VSL and EWQLSO is in their own players, no in the end you may find that you are only using K2 for other products.

D

Also, if you buy K2 you will get very close to the included library with GS3 ( it also comes with its own 7.5 gigs of VSL samples). Another thing, if you get the EWQL Gold, that includes a kompakt player - you can crossgrade that player to the full K2 for an excellent price at certain places (like B&H photo for example).

steve

I would however like to hear some audio demos of what you can achieve with GS3 Orchestra. There is no demos on their web site. I have listened to demos of VSL, SI and Project SAM however but I don't know how much of that is included in GS3 Orchestra.
    Someone posted a demo made only with the Kontakt2 VSL samples, look at the VSL forum (http://vsl.co.at/forum/viewtopic.php...2&iframe=true), it's impressiv and a good reflection of what you're able to do with these samples. Kontakt2 comes with a basic set of articulations from VSL (with some additional ones, like the legato flute). If you don't have any other sample library it is maybe a good point to start with. I saw a sreenshot of the Gigastudio VSL sample folder and I think it contains almost the same basic set of articulations.

Also consider that the Garritan guys are working on GPO Advanced (a handful of people waiting for its release ) and Sonic Implants are having a "lite" version of their symphonic strings (the other high-end choice to start with).

To me it sounds like EWQLSO is easier to work with and it seems like it's easier on the computer as well. Am I right?
    Easier to work with? Hmm, you are willing to use samples libraries? Then you become a "tweak-head". Never mind which library you're using. I think the results are depending on your experience.

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by sghoughton
    Another thing, if you get the EWQL Gold, that includes a kompakt player - you can crossgrade that player to the full K2 for an excellent price at certain places (like B&H photo for example).
    Yupp, that's right. Get any Kontakt- or Kompakt-PLAYER based library and have the chance to get Kontakt2 for a very good price.

I honestly did not know that Kontakt 2 comes with a selection from VSL. That makes my decision a lot easier. I listened to the demo made with the VSL-samples in Kontakt and I have to say that that alone is quite impressive. That's exactly the kind of music I want to make, very cinematic.

Considering that GPOA is on it's way it might be a good idea to go with EWQLSO and Kontakt since GPO loads into Kontakt as well. If GPOA turns out to be an affordable option like GPO I will certainly have a close look at it when it is released.

Thank you all, you have helped me to decide which is the definite choice for me!

EDIT: The Kontakt-VSL-demo was made with convolution reverb and I noticed that GS3 has convolution modelling. Does Kontakt 2 have that too? If not then how do I get it for Kontakt 2?

Go Back to forum