• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO *very* unstable in Logic Pro

Share/Bookmark

GPO *very* unstable in Logic Pro

I just bought GPO for a project and am blown away by how easy it is making orchestration. It is really a stunning product. Thank you.

However I am having terrible problems with stability.

I am running in Logic Pro 7.2.1 on a 2ghz G5 dual with 6 gigs of ram. I am using an MIO 2882 +DSP interface.

The behaviour I am encountering is that when I freeze or unfreeze tracks logic crashes, sometimes with logics emergency save intact, usually with a "report?" dialog.

I am also seeing total system freezes that sometimes will go on for about ten minutes and then things will be OK again if I just leave the puter alone.

I am using all SATA disks.

At the moment I am using disk warrier on my system disk to see if I get any relief.

It seems like I am having particular trouble with the bass Pizz section.

Re: GPO *very* unstable in Logic Pro

In addition to my previous post here is a crash log of what happens when I try to freeze my bass Pizz track

Date/Time: 2006-05-08 19:14:17.589 +0900
    OS Version: 10.4.6 (Build 8I127)
    Report Version: 4

Command: Logic Pro
    Path: /Applications/Logic Pro 7.2.1pr959.27.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic Pro
    Parent: WindowServer [74]

Version: 7.2.1 (959.27)
    Build Version: 73
    Project Name: Your_Installers
    Source Version: 0

[EDIT: Computer logs deleted for security reasons]

Are you up to date with your maintenance tasks, i.e. repairing disk permissions, leaving your Mac on so that it runs its daily, weekly and monthly housekeeping scripts?

Karl

Could a GPO Mac user please try this file?

Please excuse the cross post but I am having an instability issue that I am trying to get to the bottom of.

The file can be found here:

http://dennisgunn.com/Bass_test_4.zip

It is a very simple song comprised of just one short track. On my system if I just load it. Freeze the track. Hit play. Unfreeze it hit play. And then hit the freeze button again and hit play logic will crash.

Sometimes it crashes on the first run through sometimes on the second freeze it *never* makes it to a third freeze. This is 100% reproducable over here.

If someone else could try it out I would be most grateful.

If it can be confirmed that this is an issue on someone elses system then maybe we can get Native Instruments to take a look at Kontakt.

dennisgunn,

I contacted Native Instruments and heard back from them.

Your problem may not be GPO NI Player causing the crash, rather another Apple application. Perhaps the Unsanity Application Enhancer technology is crashing the computer when used with GPO. Perhaps it could be a combination of factors.

Unsanity makes small "hacks" which alter the operating system. Apple doesn't recommend them.
    Thread 0:
    0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9000b0a8 mach_msg_trap + 8
    1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9000affc mach_msg + 60
    2 com.unsanity.ape 0xc0002afc __ape_internal + 3300
    (icplusplus.c:28)
    3 com.unsanity.ape 0xc0001910 __ape_agent + 64
    (icplusplus.c:28)
    4 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9002ba68 _pthread_body + 96
    According to NI, most users, after disabling this extension (deinstalling it) report that the crashes have stopped.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    dennisgunn,

I contacted Native Instruments and heard back from them.

Your problem may not be GPO NI Player causing the crash, rather another Apple application. Perhaps the Unsanity Application Enhancer technology is crashing the computer when used with GPO. Perhaps it could be a combination of factors.

Unsanity makes small "hacks" which alter the operating system. Apple doesn't recommend them.
    Gary Garritan
    Thanks for getting back to me. I disabled the APE extension and tried out the tune right away. Unfortunately that does not seem to have been it. The behavior is still exactly the same.

The weird thing is that it is just the one track of the file that I provided the link to that produces the behavior.

I had about ten other instruments on other tracks and they all behaved fine.

Re: Could a GPO Mac user please try this file?

I am sort of surprised that no one here seems to be willing to check this. But I have gotten a confirmation from at least two other GPO users that this file crashes logic on their systems as well. It may not be something you have seen yet but what can happen will happen and you better not hope murphy chooses when.

I de-installed the APE pref pane as the NI tech suggested but the crashing behavior has not changed.

Those two things taken together suggest to me that it is a bug with GPO and not my system we are looking at.

Re: Could a GPO Mac user please try this file?

Perhaps there are still traces of the hackware. I will ask NI to look at the file you posted and see f they can replicate the problem. I'm confident we'll get to the bottom of this.

Gary Garritan

Native Instruments support replied:
    "In further tests with that Logic song, we see that he is using a
    Mono version of GPO. With this track "frozen", Logic crashes upon
    play. If he uses the stereo version, Logic plays fine. It could be a bug on either side, but the workaround is for him to use the stereo plug-in version."
    Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

I confirm this too. Mono plug with GPO crash me everytime in Logic 7. MUST be stereo.

Hopefully that's it because that's an easy fix. And if it is, just set your template up only with Stereo GPO in Logic and you're good to go.
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Go Back to forum