• Register
  • Help

Topic: FX Teleport + Giga-VST Adapter + Giga 3 + Sonar 4 + VST Adapter 4 = HASSLE!!!

Share/Bookmark

FX Teleport + Giga-VST Adapter + Giga 3 + Sonar 4 + VST Adapter 4 = HASSLE!!!

Man, someone help me out here. I've been at this for hours.

I have a main DAW running Sonar 4, with the Fxpansion VST-DX adapter version 4.0. I have two sampling machines, both running Giga 3.1.

All machine are connected via gigabit ethernet, and the network works fine for file transfers. I'm trying to set up FX-Max's Giga-VST adapter, with FX-Teleport, to communicate over the LAN between Sonar and both instances of Giga. I'm using the latest demo version of the two FX-Max utilities.

I've installed FX-Teleport on all machines and it seems to work no problem.

I've installed GVA on the Giga machines and it shows up as the hardware outputs in Giga, apparently no problem.

The problem comes when I install GVA on the DAW. I choose "host" installation, and select the boxes to activate two servers, A and B.

I then run the Fxpansion VST adapter config utility to register the new VSTIs (GVA 1 & 2) and this is what I get:

GVA A [1]
    GVA A [1]
    GVA A [2]
    GVA A [2]
    GVA A [3]
    GVA A [3]
    GVA A [4]
    GVA A [5]
    GVA A [6]
    GVA A [7]
    GVA A [8]
    GVA A

GVA B [4]
    GVA B [5]
    GVA B [6]
    GVA B [7]
    GVA B [8]

I'm not sure I've spelt all this exactly correctly, but the basic idea is this: The overall VST instrument only shows up for GVA A, connected to the first Giga machine. With the subsidiary instruments - the ones that are used to route MIDI to different ports in Giga - the first three of the ones belonging to GVA B seem to be mistakenly assigned to GVA A instead, so there's two of them for GVA A, and none for GVA B. The individual ports for GVA B only start with Port 5.

WTF???????????

I've reinstalled till I'm blue in the face. I've tried everything. I've tried installing the host twice, only allowing one server at a time, but as soon as I arrive at the full setup, by whatever route, this is what I end up with.

I've read here of people using these FX-Max utilities successfully with Sonar, which means they must be using the VST-DX adapter, right? So what on Earth is going on in my setup?

Again, there doesn't appear to be any problem on the LAN itself, either in general use or in FX-Teleport on its own.

This is killing me. I've reconstructed my whole system around the idea of LAN communication. There's no tech support contact on Max's site, I've applied to join the forum but apparently have to be "authorised" first (???). And it looks worryingly slow anyway.

If anybody has a clue about this, please help me out.

Thanks.

Re: FX Teleport + Giga-VST Adapter + Giga 3 + Sonar 4 + VST Adapter 4 = HASSLE!!!

eek...

I just looked at Cakewalk's site, and it would seem from Sonar 3 onwards I don't need the VST adapter. Is this right?

I upgraded a while ago from Sonar 2 straight to Sonar 4, but hadn't gotten around to installing it until now, as I rejig my system around the whole LAN thing.

So will Sonar 4 just run this stuff automatically? Maybe I'm introducing problems by trying to use the adapter?

Re: FX Teleport + Giga-VST Adapter + Giga 3 + Sonar 4 + VST Adapter 4 = HASSLE!!!

OK problem solved. It all works fine using the newer Cakewalk adapter.

Phew. I'm going to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    OK problem solved. It all works fine using the newer Cakewalk adapter.

Phew. I'm going to bed.
    Well that saved me from jumping in anyway. Hope you like using GVA.

D

Go Back to forum