• Register
  • Help

Topic: Not sure which brass library, help plz!?

Share/Bookmark

Not sure which brass library, help plz!?

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice. I know this is a Garritan forum and I already own GPO, but Im trying to decide what brass vst to get for my Muse Receptor. I can't decide between Garritan Jazz Big Band, Kick As Brass from Best Service, or Chris Hein Horns. Im looking for brass section sounds more than solo, with velocity switching and maybe keyswitching too. It's for a funk project live. Anybody have any advice on sound quality and what is best of rmy needs?

Thanks

Gary

Re: Not sure which brass library, help plz!?

clavdig,

You are probably not going to get an unbiased opinion in a JABB forum .

JABB is a bit different that the two libraries you mention. The JABB library is performance-driven with controllers rather than cut-and-paste multiple articulations. The other libraries are brass libraries and contain just a few brass instruments. JABB focuses on being a complete Jazz and Big Band solution (has woodwinds, rhythm section and other instruments - 50+ instruments in all). You may also want to check out the price points.

If you want brass section to play chords on a keyboard then JABB is probably not for you. We take an ensemble building approach with monophonic instruments. If you want sections you created them one instrument at a time. We feel this approach best reflects the real world especially in jazz and big band. If you just want to play polyphonic brass chords, then its best to look elsewhere.

Although JABB is primarily geared towards Jazz and Big Band, you could create funk lines too. Barrie Bignold, a UK TV composer,, has demonstrated JABB's suitability for funk. Here's a few of his demos:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/bb-DomDealTrack1.mp3
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/bb-DomDealTrack2.mp3
    http://www.garritan.com/JABB/JABBDem...ealTrack16.mp3
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/bb-DomDealTrack6.mp3
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/bb-DomDealTrack11.mp3

Again, in a JABB forum you're probably not going to get too much information about the other libraries you mentioned. You may want to ask in their respective forums and check out their demos as well. Hope this helps,

Gary Garritan

Many thanks to you Gary for the great information.

Yes, I am totally performance driven and don't buy this stuff to as you say 'cut and paste' articulations and the like. That's why I bought GPO recently for my Muse because of the mod wheel and sustain legato facilitys which Im finding great for live use. So if JABB is more for live use then it's become even stronger in my decision making. I do play 'chords' with brass, although with limitations of sometimes only one hand, I try and voice them as good as i can within those limitations. Luckily the funk covers the band does has a lot of unison horn lines in there.

Thanks again from a UK Gary

Mr Garritan..

we need to talk about commission rates...

Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by BarrieB
    Mr Garritan..

we need to talk about commission rates...

Barrie
    Barry, the check is in the mail .

Quote Originally Posted by korgsp200
    oh ..

The Demos are really cool..

This is the first demo of JABB i am listenin to..

I closed my eyes, while listening to them and felt like a band was performing for me.. I am serious ...

Good engineering.. too !!!!!
    Thanks, korgsp200, (is it OK if I call you 200?) much appreciated. Not probably what Tom and Gary had in mind when they made JABB, but I love it - it's my frontline brass section of choice in all sorts of contexts!

I love it!!

regards, Barrie Bignold

You can call me anything.. even 100
    Hey, don't put yourself down!

You can call me anything.. even 100 Got a small doubt.. how do you pan those rhodes ?? is that panning by default on that patch ? thats so amazing....
    Hi Mr. 400,

the rhodes is the Logic EVP88, there are different set ups on different tracks, but the most extreme use the panning feature on the rhodes (which I love anyway - so modern in a kinda...retro way!) plus a bit of e q and light compression, then Logic 'stereo delay' with ,say, left channel at (hold on I'm English, I'll have to think..) quarter note resolution and the right at either half or eigth note (twice as fast or half depending on the tempo of the track) PLUS adding a little cross channel feedback. Because the panning is not in sync with track but everything else is this gives a really complex spectrum. As with all these things it's easy to over do it, although I think I may have a higher 'over do-ing' it threshold than many!!

I know I should be using the JABB rhodes, and no doubt will in another situation, but I was never trying to do a showcase for JABB, just making it earn it's living!!! Can't see any reason why the JABB rhodes can't do this.

regards

Barrie

Go Back to forum