• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orchestral brass libraries

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral brass libraries

Hey, all. I am new to the forum and just posted a thread asking about using large sample libraries in a live setting. This post is to ask what sample library I should consider. I am doing a Broadway national tour and, having a reduced orchestra, I am needing a sample library to fill in the brass (which would just be combinations of trumpet, trombone, and french horn articulations.) The style is very orchestral, so I am looking for realistic orchestral brass sounds with a bite. The easiest option would be a library that could be loaded into our travelling gear (2 Kurz 2600s), but that would be limited to around 256MB. I have ordered Quantum Leap Brass (since it is now available for $20!) but I am not sure I can get what I need out of it. My questions:

1. If you are familiar with QLB, could I get realistic trumpet, trombone, french horn, and brass ensemble sounds squeezed into 256MB?

2. Are there any other small libraries (other than Roland, which I have) that sound good and could feasibly fit the sounds I need in 256MB?

3. If looking at larger libraries, are there any better at orchestral brass than ProjectSAM Brass? (I need dry samples, which means I would need EWQLSO Platinum which is a little out of my price range, and I don't know when VSL releases the VI Brass I and II.)

As with the last post, any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Michael B

Re: Orchestral brass libraries

Hi,

I am interested in an answer to this question too.. I'm thinking about getting a separate brass library for very realistic and powerful orch brass and wanted to know whether VI brass or Project SAM would be the better choice..

Anybody have some input on this??

Thanks!

Where can you get quantum leap brass for only $20????
    Did i miss something?
    I googled everywhere and haven't found any store that sells quantum leap brass for $20..

VSL Brass is the most natural (orchestral)sounding brass I know of. It's superbly recorded. The trumpets are C trumpets which makes them a little thinner sounding (some say synthy) but they are pretty darn good.

If you want something more juiced sounding SAM horns are very hot samples. There are other good libraries but I haven't heard their latest offerings.

Concerning the $20 QL Brass...I ordered mine (Kurzweil version) from ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ on Friday of last week. It was in their clearance section as of Friday afternoon. It had been there for three weeks, and while looking for other options I figured how can I lose? As I look at the site tonight, however, it is most definitely listed as back at over $400. Might be worth a call, but I must have just gotten in under the wire. Sorry!

Michael B

i wanted to order QLB right now... but i was too late. the product is no more at 20$

Quote Originally Posted by bosone
    i wanted to order QLB right now... but i was too late. the product is no more at 20$
    Bosone, the product he's talking about is not the qlb per se, but something derived from qlb... Here's the link...

http://~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/clearance.shtml

It's number 19 called pop brass... So, it's still there if you want it...

apparently, this forum does not allow for links... But basically go to soundonline clearance page, and look for prosamples vol 19

Don't forget Sonic Implants Brass...and as someone mention VSL has got to be on of the best, espacialy Epic Horns .

[QUOTE=tradivoro]Bosone, the product he's talking about is not the qlb per se, but something derived from qlb... Here's the link...

i had an experience with prosounds libraries and i will never buy another one... too limited...
    also, try to compare a 5 cd set (the full QLB) at 20$ with a multiformat single cd at 20$... :-)

the deal was on QLB, not on prosounds! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    Bosone, the product he's talking about is not the qlb per se, but something derived from qlb... Here's the link...

Actually the offer was on the full QLB, although I'm not sure the Giga version was ever in the sale. I went for the AKAI S-5000.

Go Back to forum