• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using VST/Giga libraries live

Share/Bookmark

Using VST/Giga libraries live

Hey, everyone! I am new to the forum and could really use some help. (My question has quite a few parts, so I'll try to split it into two posts.) I am a composer and musical director for theater, so half of my work is in sequencing orchestrations in the studio (which are mostly orchestral, Broadway, or jazz band in style), and half of my work is using sample libraries in the orchestra pit live. Because of the combination of studio and live work that I do, my sequencing/sampling setup has been very basic until now and has mostly involved loading smaller sample libraries into the sample RAM of my keyboards (Kurz 2600s) and hardware samplers. But after hearing many of the libraries that have come out over the past two years, it is hard to settle for the older sample libraries. Still, reliability and latency are major issues in using a computer based system for sample playback. I have found a lot of info on setting up a system that is solely for studio work, but as I am about to go out on a year-long tour conducting a reduced orchestra, I would also like to find a way to use these new sample libraries live.

My question is, has anyone had a good experience with a setup playing any of these large sample libraries (VSL, EWQLSO, ProjectSAM Brass) live? What computer would be best? What specs would it need? Is one computer or program (Gigastudio, Kontakt, etc.) more reliable than another? Would I need a program beyond the playback program to layer/map sounds across a keyboard? Are there specific computer companies that custom design computer music systems for tour use? Is there a way to get around latency issues? Are there any other issues to consider? Would such a system withstand daily travel and setup/teardown? Would the MUSE Receptor VST playback system or NI's KORE be a good option? (Receptor sounds like a nice idea, but it doesn't support most of the libraries I like. KORE sounds like what I need, but it gets released this week...) Or are these sample libraries just not managable in a live setting?

I know this is a ridiculously open ended question, but this is a whole new world of sampling for me, so I need all the info I can get. Any advice or ideas you would have would be greatly appreciated. (If there are any sites with articles pertaining to any of this, that would be great, too!) Thanks!

Michael B
    Last edited by musikmik; 05-07-2006 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Wasn't finished with post

Re: Using VST/Giga libraries live

Quote Originally Posted by musikmik
    ... But after hearing many of the libraries that have come out over the past two years, it is hard to settle for the older sample libraries. Still, reliability and latency are major issues in using a computer based system for sample playback. I have found a lot of info on setting up a system that is solely for studio work, but as I am about to go out on a year-long tour conducting a reduced orchestra, I would also like to find a way to use these new sample libraries live.
    ...My question is, has anyone had a good experience with a setup playing any of these large sample libraries...
    Michael B
    Hi Michael
    The new Vienna Instrument is developed for playing it live. But even if it is done for this I always need hours of fiddeling around to come as close as possible to the reality. Further: You will be able to play "only" 1 melody at once. So let it play by a real musician. Another thing is to play along a playback with an orchestra or with any other ensemble. Let's say you have no Drums, Piano, no Brass Ensemble. I did it in 2003 with my class (Children where aged 10). I produced the whole orchestra as playback (VSL)...:
    http://www.beat-kaufmann.com/downloa...rvalenciav.mp3

All the best
    Beat Kaufmann

For orchestral brass, there is also Sonic Implants Symphonic Brass(SISB), they are hard to beat, quality/playability wize. For Jazz and big band, Gary Garritan has a product out(J&BB) which sound really good. Also Chris Hein's horns could be use for jazz/big ban.I gess it could be use in a broadway setting, not sure...

There is also this product coming out wich should be perfect for broadway:http://www.fablesounds.com/ Ask Sonic Implants for the release date.

P.S. You will need a Pc to run these lib BTW. Aslo i don't think EWQLSO isn't what you're looking for, while the brass are really good i would not use them live.

Hey, thanks for your replies! (Nice piece, Beat!) I am currently on a tour that uses a form of tracks, and being tied down to set tempos is my main issue. (I'll still probably have to sequence a couple of larger orchestral sequences in the show.) Are any other libraries other than VSL monophonic when playing live? (I actually know Garritan JABB is supposedly like this.) I would alos likely need to map and layer sounds, and then save and arrange them to be cycled through as I need different configurations to play throughout the show. Can the supplied interface on these sample libraries do that, or do you need a separate program? If so, what? (KORE looks like it is exactly what I am needing...it will be interesting to see what comes of that!)

PS-Thanks for the tip on the fablesounds site! I exchanged emails with the developer, and while I'm not sure it will be ready for what I need I'll definitely keep up with its release!

Quote Originally Posted by musikmik
    ...Are any other libraries other than VSL monophonic when playing live? (I actually know Garritan JABB is supposedly like this.)...
    Hi again
    Correct is: VSL's VI is monophonic while using legato samples. Single sound samples you can play polyphone.

Beat Kaufmann

Go Back to forum