• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: hints on buying hardware?

Share/Bookmark

Red face hints on buying hardware?

Hi there, i'd welcome some precious info from you expert guys on setting up my own system. Like lots of you I would like to slave a PC to my Mac Powerbook and use gigastudio and kontakt on it. My Mac runs Logic audio on a FW Motu Traveler. The hardware i'd need to buy should be:

- PC: fast CPU? Lots of RAM? or fast Hard Disks (raid? scasi?)? Windows XP?

- two (right?) 4x4 or 8x8 MIDI interfaces (only one with sync?). Which are more convenient?

- one PC based soundcard, adat lightpipe out back to monitoring in the Motu. Again... any names?

Am I missing something? Any hints?
    Thanks for your help guys,
    BenGardner

Re: hints on buying hardware?

I say go for the 64 bit architecture and Win x64.

And a 150 GB WD Raptor is fine for samples. It has very low search times, which is important for DFD streaming.

The bad part about the raptor is the noise level ... i.e. compared to a Samsung Spinpoint.
    Disk read time has never been an issue for me, even with older maxtors and WDs.
    The new Samsungs are definately fast enough.

True, the Raptor is decidedly more noisy than my two Barracudas.

Thanks guys, ok for the raptor then (if it's the fastest), noise is not a problem 'cause I'm planning put keep the machine out of the control room. Have any hints for the midi interfaces? I'd need roughly 64 channels. What about the sync thing, how did you fix it? I've always worked on one single machine so sync has never been an issue before. And what do you mean for 64 bit architechture?

thanks again
    BenGardner

P.S. Nice site Nickie, good job on "Hal's waltz". also like the black&white grafic work (is it sad or happy?)

Quote Originally Posted by BenGardner
    Have any hints for the midi interfaces? I'd need roughly 64 channels. What about the sync thing, how did you fix it? I've always worked on one single machine so sync has never been an issue before.
    You should consider MOL http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm ''if'' you have lan capability...

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    You should consider MOL http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm ''if'' you have lan capability...
    Sorry body, but I'm not shure if MOL is supported on mac yet. look it up!

Sorry .

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    Sorry body, but I'm not shure if MOL is supported on mac yet. look it up!
    It works on the Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Loconto
    It works on the Mac.
    Thanks i wasn't sure.

P.S. Make sure you're on XP SP2 cause it's didn't work here on SP1 and that's what they recommend anyway so...

Quote Originally Posted by BenGardner

P.S. Nice site Nickie, good job on "Hal's waltz". also like the black&white grafic work (is it sad or happy?)
    Thanks. I suppose you mean the Lone Tree. Sad or happy? It is what you make it. There's no right or wrong from me. Besides, I'm not quite sure

With 64 bit architecture I meant 64 bit CPU and Motherboard etc. that support it. It seems to be the future - and present if you run Sonar 5. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to choose this path, when I started upgrading my computer, so I'm stuck with 32 bit.

Go Back to forum