Hi guys/gals, I'm having a bit of an issue understanding the best way to do some things. I'm interested in playing around with surround and would like to go about it the right way.

I'm also curious as to how reverb plays into the equation.

First, if you're doing orchestral stuff, would the proper method of doing a surround mix be to place the orchestra up front, then let your (supposedly surround) reverb echo it through the space and place some of the reverbed audio behind you? This makes most sense to me i think. However, i suppose you could mix instruments to any channel and just go nuts with placing the listener in the center of the orchestra, but my sense is that wouldn't be entirly the right way to do that.

Secondly, being a sonar user, i have an algorithmic surround reverb that is included with the package. Not sure how good it is, but its there. Are there any other algo. surround reverbs around (oh - I also have rayspace, and it does surround too). Are surround reverbs even necessary? Can you make do with stereo ones?

And on the topic of rayspace, the latest release lets you output impulses (up to 5). So this has me thinking, are there multi-channel convolution reverbs out there where you'd apply a single IR to a single channel? I've seen that some of the conv. reverbs let you place things at certain places etc. It appears that gigapulse and altiverb do this, but i'm not sure if that is even relevant to the multichannel issue if at all. Even if it isnt, are these (or other convo reverbs) capable of multichannel output? If so, do they require multiple IR's/an IR per channel etc? Or are they doing some other kind of odd processing that way? I have an opporunity to get gigapulse at a decent price right now, so if thats the case i may look into it. I have gigastudio ensemble which doesnt seem to come with the full one, or at least i havent seen it. I'm not even sure if orchestra comes with the VST version of gigapulse.

So, anyways, these are my questions, any answers or direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks

steve