• Register
  • Help

Topic: Essential TV Composition tools

Share/Bookmark

Essential TV Composition tools

Hey all,

I work mainly for making music for tv ad's here in Australia, and was just wondering what other tv composers found to be their 'essential tools'. Mine are Ableton Live, RMX (with Xpanders), Kontakt 2 as well as Cubase SX and Pro Tools. And I find myself using a surprising amount of Apple garage band loops for somet things too, for some strange reason, as well as the old e-lab drum hits. In the studio too is a maton acoustic guitar, and fender rhodes (constant inspiration). Have also been digging the trigger finger for Ableton triggering and what not too.

I'm sure other things with leap to mind, but love to hear what tools I'm missing out on!

Cheers,

Pete Jones.

Re: Essential TV Composition tools

A Tv.....

D

only if its flat and impressive looking for the ad agencies

Post Re: Essential TV Composition tools

My essential tool these days is RMX. Sometimes I have a pre-conceived idea for a song and I then go to RMX for the right groove. Other times the inspiration comes from RMX. As I said once before it's my fovorite toy..er.. tool.

All the best
    MotuHari--DP 4.61, Reason, Stylus RMX, Kontakt2, VGEE, GPO, Mac B&W G3w/G4 Upgrade, Keystation Pro 88

I should add I recently picked up 9Volt Chopped guitars, and can see that coming in very handy for added colour. Would love to know how Kyle processed some of those!

Since everyone is talking Spectrasonics here, I have RMX and it's an awesome product, and I don't have any Xpander packs but "I" rarely use it. I'm know I'm probably in the minority, but I don't have much use for re-mix type groove/applications and although done brilliantly, the processing/mixing of many of the samples is a bit over the top for my tastes. The standard library has been around for a while and I hear it maybe too often... but that just goes to show the success of the product. There are some things in that library (Cinematic, etc.) that are just a standard like some of the Hollywood edge SFX things that are in EVERY car chase ever done on tv, etc....

Much of Atmosphere is just great. I have a ton of keys and hardware units/samplers so some of it is redundant for me, but if you are computer only, I'd buy that immediately.

I only recently purchased the Backbeat expaneder, and listening to it solo i wasn't quite as inspired as I though I'd be, but as soon as I put it in the mix, and used the edit groups to change the snare around abit to how I liked, it sounded great in the mix.
    check out...

www.cuttingedge.com.au/media/june/qtcu_1/

for some uses of the great new orleans rmx pack that came out a little while ago. really brought the track to life!

johanze:that is a FUNKY track very cool : >

I just mentioned this in another thread, but for me the only 'problem' sometimes is that I don't want the instrument to 'define' my sound so much. I don't want to press one note and have it go (sometimes I do :>). The drum thing has been a constant battle (for me) to find one plug-in that'll do what I want when I want. I don't want an arsenal of toys. We got a lot more done when we had our favorite drum machine that we knew inside and out. I think RMX 'could' be that for me. The ONLY thing I desperatly want is the simplicity of Redrum. Not even the step sequencing, but to be able to use any sample from anywhere, plug it in, tune it or filter it if I want, and maybe a little reverb and delay. Redrum does this perfectly, but Rewire slows me down, saving 2 sequences etc... If RMX could ever have this simple a drum mode, I would pay $100 to $300 for the upgrade no problem. Maybe SAGE or another utility would allow us to make custom KIT menus with 'our own' sounds. In fact, if this is even remotely a possiblilty, I will gladly pre-pay NOW. :>

Johanze,
    Very cool spot. And yes the change to the New Orleans vibe at the end really sets it off. Really nice work.
    MotuHari--DP 4.61, Reason, Stylus RMX, Kontakt2, VGEE, GPO, Mac B&W G3w/G4 Upgrade, Keystation Pro 88

Quote Originally Posted by dinerdog
    johanze:that is a FUNKY track very cool : >

I just mentioned this in another thread, but for me the only 'problem' sometimes is that I don't want the instrument to 'define' my sound so much. I don't want to press one note and have it go (sometimes I do :>). The drum thing has been a constant battle (for me) to find one plug-in that'll do what I want when I want. I don't want an arsenal of toys. We got a lot more done when we had our favorite drum machine that we knew inside and out. I think RMX 'could' be that for me. The ONLY thing I desperatly want is the simplicity of Redrum. Not even the step sequencing, but to be able to use any sample from anywhere, plug it in, tune it or filter it if I want, and maybe a little reverb and delay. Redrum does this perfectly, but Rewire slows me down, saving 2 sequences etc... If RMX could ever have this simple a drum mode, I would pay $100 to $300 for the upgrade no problem. Maybe SAGE or another utility would allow us to make custom KIT menus with 'our own' sounds. In fact, if this is even remotely a possiblilty, I will gladly pre-pay NOW. :>
    Dinerdog, I'm agree with you, exactly with outside audio into RMX easely, and a multistep sequencer. I use it with Logic, witch has a very good matrix edition, but it's not easy to use and programing percussions.

That's another good idea for new versions
    G5 2x2 ~ Powerbook ~ Tascam FW-1082 ~ Event PS5 ~ Logic Pro ~ Stylus RMX ~ Absynth ~ Cameleon5000

Go Back to forum