• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SIPS in the Jazz Idiom

Share/Bookmark

SIPS in the Jazz Idiom

Now that the initial version of SIPS has finally been released, I thought I might take off my technical hat for a while and have a little fun doing something musical with SIPS. About 4 years ago I got hold of the original arrangement for Bob Crosby's 1938 recording of the March Of the Bobcats and, about 3 years ago, I multitracked myself playing all the parts of this Dixieland Classic (with real instruments). I played it a little looser (with more swing) than the original because, back in 1938, jazz styles still had a lot of the 'chinky-chinky' sound. But, apart from more swing, and of course higher-fidelity, my recording is pretty much a note for note copy of the original, including the Classic Clarinet solo by Irving Fazola.

Since my original motive for writing SIPS was to eventually be able to put my clarinet in mothballs, I thought it might be interesting to see how close to a real clarinet I could get a sampled clarinet to sound. So, I removed my orignal clarinet track from the 'March Of The Bobcats' and replaced my Selmer with a SIPS special . It didn't turn out too bad and I think maybe I could 'sail it past' a lot of listeners. Now, I'm sure you guys will be more critical but, if you have a little bent for this style of music you might enjoy giving a listen to The March Of The Big Bobcats.

http://www.andrewkmusic.com/filearea...TheBobcats.mp3

I want to emphasize that so far, only the Clarinet track was done with SIPS, the other tracks are still as I did them 3 years ago.

My special thanks to Andrew (aka Thonex) for letting me put this mp3 on his web site (I'm just a poor ol' country boy an' I don' have a web site).

God Bless,

Bob
    Big Bob (aka Wonderful Bob)

Re: SIPS in the Jazz Idiom

Bob,

Can you post the original for a point of comparison?

steve

Hello Bob,

sorry for asking, you've played all that instruments in this recording except the clarinet, right? Wow! Unfortunately I barely know this kind of music but your Trumpet, Sax and Trombone performances overwhelming me. Like to hear the version with your original clarinet. Can you tell me why you don't make a living as a musician and picked up the job as a programmer (which surely wasn't a mistake too)?

BTW: You don't need samples!

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by sghoughton
    Bob,

Can you post the original for a point of comparison?

steve
    Hi Steve,
    I'm going to check with Nils (Kotori) to see if he'd be willing to host the original and if so, I'll repost with a link to it.

I never considered myself a great clarinetist. My main 'claim to fame' has only been playing lots of instruments. But you know what they say about a 'Jack of All Trades'. I bring this up because maybe if you hear my original clarinet track you might actually like the SIPS track better (Irving Fazola I'm not).

But, it might make an interesting experiment to see whether the 'real thing' sounds more like the real thing than my SIPS special .

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mixolydian
    Hello Bob,

sorry for asking, you've played all that instruments in this recording except the clarinet, right? Wow! Unfortunately I barely know this kind of music but your Trumpet, Sax and Trombone performances overwhelming me.
    You are too, too kind.

Like to hear the version with your original clarinet.
    See my prior post in reply to Steve.

Can you tell me why you don't make a living as a musician and picked up the job as a programmer (which surely wasn't a mistake too)?
    Engineering pays a lot better (unless you're Michael Jackson, and come to think of it, he isn't doing so well these days either).

BTW: You don't need samples!
    Now you tell me!

Cool Re: SIPS in the Jazz Idiom

Here i was thinking your were just a tweak head, a good and generous one at that and that was fine...but know this! Man you really surprised me. Plus you're not afraid of anything! I mean mixing samples with reel instrument is kind of the ultimate test isn't it? Well it blends really well with the other instruments and was pretty good as a solo instrument, of coarse side by side with reel instrument it's harder to fool the audience but i tough it was very effective. The vibrato really impress me, i loved the out of tune notes...legato was fine. but what i miss the most was a brighter sound at higher velocity and maybe more dynamics variations would have made the solo a little less static. Over all, you did some very nice programming Bob and I'm impress that you played all those instruments ...unless i misunderstood, i hope i did .

I had a lot of fun listening to it(many times ), it was really refreshing.

Thanks for shearing.

P.S. Don't go making to much music now, you know we want more script! .

Awesome demonstration of your abilities and fun to listen to!

Hannes

Hey Geronimo re:

The vibrato really impress me, i loved the out of tune notes...legato was fine. but what i miss the most was a brighter sound at higher velocity and maybe more dynamics variations would have made the solo a little less static.
    I'm afraid the lack of dynamics variation resulted from me trying to match my own playing style . Unlike classical and orchestral music, I've always felt that the dynamic range for jazz is a lot narrower. Of course I just say that because that's how I play . I talking with Nils about posting my original clarinet track and if it happens, then you can see how close I came to synthesizing it with SIPS. Unfortunately, part of the problem with the SIPS version is that it's based on my original, less-than-stellar rendition .

Anyway, thank you for your very kind comments.

God Bless,

Bob

Well for better or worse, here's a link to my BigBobcats recording with my orignal clarinet track. The SIPS version was patterned after my orignal track and I tried to mimic it as closely as I could. So, those of you who thought the SIPS track was deficient in various ways may find the same thing to be true of my original clarinet track. But I always say, 'You Can't Be Superman and Good-Looking Too' :razz: But, apart from whether you like my clarinet playing or not, I'd like to know how close you think I came to matching it with SIPS?

http://nilsliberg.se/mp3/Original_BigBobcats.mp3

And, many thanks to all of you for your most kind comments.

God Bless,

Bob

BTW Just a bit of trivia concerning The March Of The Bobcats. Although well disguised, it's actually a jazzed-up rendition of the old German Song 'Oh Tannenbaum' (Oh Christmas Tree).

Thumbs up Re: SIPS in the Jazz Idiom

Hi Big Bob,

What a terrific demonstration of SIPS. The legato and bends are great. I've played both pieces ten times now - they're still ringing in my ears - in a good way. Put a big smile on my face.

It's very hard to tell the difference. It would have been good to put both up and not say which was real. I few minor differences I think are mainly differences in timbre between the real and sampled. What clarinet samples did you use - what library - and how much did you have to tweak SIPS for the whole piece? It obviously wasn't just your standard preset. I just can't get it to work like you have.

I noticed a nice vibrato on the clarinet at about 2.29 which is in the SIPS version but not the original. Was this SIPS or the sample?

Craig

Go Back to forum