• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Godzilla movie and Blue Oyster Cult

Share/Bookmark

The Godzilla movie and Blue Oyster Cult

Happened to see the Godzilla movie made a couple of years ago (starring Ferris Bueller). I remember being annoyed when I first saw it that they didn't use the classic B.O.C. tune of the same name. Instead, the movie closes with some rapper talking over the ripped off riff from Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir".

Anyone ever heard any stories, rumor or innuendo explaining why they didn't use "Godzilla" in the movie?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: The Godzilla movie and Blue Oyster Cult

I'm not sure I understand why not using a particular pop tune that really has no relation to the story would upset you

I thought the soundtrack to that movie was "nice music" but didn't fit the film... or rather, the film didn't fit what it was trying to be. In my opinion, the music for the first half hour or so of the movie is great, but then it loses momentum and becomes too "nice". It's as if Emmerich couldn't decide whether he wanted to make a scary Godzilla movie, or a Godzilla-as-Bambi-cutesy-let's-take-the-kids-to-the-cineplex movie.

It's a shame, too, I thought the effects were nicely done (I particularly liked the "cardboard" look of the buildings during the helicopter chase scene... nice little hommage to the Toho Gojira film).

David Arnold is one of those film composers who can compose something absolutely astonishing for one film (Stargate comes to mind) and then compose music that only barely seems to fit the film on another project (like Godzilla). Who knows, maybe he was not particularly interested in the film to start with?

actually, after reading the lyrics to that song, I can understand why the producers might have chosen not to use that song in the movie.

Yea, isn't it "Ohhhhh Whoooa, there goes Tokyo!!!"

Never saw the flick, but think it might take place in NYC?

I'd be curious who the publisher of Kashmir is and who the studio is that made Godzilla? Any connection?

Oh, and for sure this rap version was fully ordaned by Zep cause they performed the song on SNL with a live 80 piece orchestra and the rapper in question.

E.

Yeah, it probably wasn't "contemporary" enough for the producers. Still, it's a long standing cult classic (er, no pun intended) and a fun tune. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that they didn't include it at least at the very end!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Growing up on Long Island, (NY) these guys where a local group and used to play small venues under the pseudonym "Soft White Underbelly"

Local heros so to speak.

Not surprised though about it not being used. If Warner/Atlantic is the publisher and Warner Bros produced the film (heresay) They're gonna wanna promote or use their own catalogue... When you're sitting in the Sony/Loews theater waiting for a film to start, don't think you're hearing anything outside of the Sony/Columbia catalogue...

Now I'm gonna have to go out and find a copy of "Agents of Fortune."

As far as BOC being a subtle parody band, well, I never noticed but that may have been what made them so good. My other faves back then being 10cc and The Tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    I remember being annoyed when I first saw it that they didn't use the classic B.O.C. tune of the same name. Instead, the movie closes with some rapper talking over the ripped off riff from Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir".
    Apropos of (almost) nothing...

I never saw the Godzilla movie in question, so I don't know what song you're talking about.

Schooly D (whose "Saturday Night" was used in Christopher Walken's "King of New York," and who sings the theme song for Aqua Teen Hunger Force) has a song called "Signifying Rapper" -- a recasting of the age-old African griot legend of the Signifying Monkey (anybody here remember Rudy Ray Moore cutting loose with it in "Dolemite"?) -- that does indeed revolve around the Kashmir riff.

That song is "adult-themed," though... so I rather doubt that it made it into the movie you're talking about... or onto SNL, for that matter.

So anyway.....
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Quote Originally Posted by dynamix
    Growing up on Long Island, (NY) these guys where a local group and used to play small venues under the pseudonym "Soft White Underbelly"
    Yeah, when I was playing on Long Island, my girlfriend was always excited when Soft White Underbelly was playing, but I was working 5 to 6 nights a week and never got the chance to catch them doing the local gigs.

You're probably right about the catalogue thing, though. Bloody suits.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum