• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which hard drive to replace dodgy Lacie?

Share/Bookmark

Which hard drive to replace dodgy Lacie?

I have scoured the pages looking for an existing answer to this but cannot find it. I need to replace my current Lacie 250GB external hard drive, as it seems:
    a) jumpy & occasionally switches off if if I look at it wrongly...!
    b) the firewire connection on the back has broken, having broken off inside the casing, so I am using USB instead which is not ideal.

All I want to know is which hard drive I am best going for. Have been advised that the Carillon's are very good for audio purposes, but this is coming from a shop. Or another Lacie? I do not want to build one myself (don't have time or inclination) and I don't want it to be internal.

So please could someone let me know which you would recommend for a reasonable price (preferably around £150 UK) and if it is a good idea for it to be both Firewire & USB or if that is overkill?

Thanks!

Re: Which hard drive to replace dodgy Lacie?

Andrea, it would take a monkey far less time to put a hard drive in a box than it took you to type that post. All you have to do is plug in two cables, attach the hard drive with four screws (it's all pre-tapped and -drilled), and close the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Andrea, it would take a monkey far less time to put a hard drive in a box than it took you to type that post. All you have to do is plug in two cables, attach the hard drive with four screws (it's all pre-tapped and -drilled), and close the box.
    Yes, I NEVER get my hands dirty with "tradesman's" work, but even I can do this.

FWIW I back up each project on HD (and DVD), so I just rip the old one out of the case, put in on the shelf and install the new one. Takes about 2 minutes all in.

D

I knew this would happen. I'm just not going to get away with buying a nice shiny new one off the shelf am I?

But where do I buy these 'make it yourself' parts?
    And what is the quality/price difference that really makes it so attractive!
    I am in London, UK by the way....

I'm in Los Angeles and unfortunately can't help you with UK shops, but I should have added that a pre-made 250GB FW drive is probably not going to be much more expensive than an enclosure and a drive. My point was just that it's not something you "build."

My approach to hard drives is that I use all of them and trust none. You'll hear people saying you should avoid Maxtor, Seagate, Hitachi, Western Digital - all of them - but my experience is that unless you're getting premium drives (such as Western Digital Raptors), they're all equally fine. I go by the warranty. If it's five years, chances are the drive is more reliable than one with a 1-year warranty.

Thanks for that Nick. I have to say, I think the advice about the guarantee is sound indeed. And answers my problem best of all I think.
    But the truest part is of course to not ultimately trust anything and to back up elsewhere too I guess...

But......... well, still confused, have asked several London stores where I can get the parts and they all seem utterly blank on the subject, so am back to Lacie versus Carillon.

Can anyone at least confirm whether Carillon are indeed better at audio/visual applications than say Lacie, as some sales chap is telling me!???

Go Back to forum