• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: VI test tune...

Share/Bookmark

VI test tune...

Hi. I made a little test composistion using the VI... So far I have only been fooling around with the VI - So I thought it would be fun to try compose a peice using it. Its nothing fancy, or even complete. But I thought I would share it anyway, since many of the demos so far have been of single instruments.

www.marcussenmusic.com/testscore.mp3

Obviously the choir isen't VSL (unfortunately )

Re: VI test tune...

Typical - I almost never post anything, and now when I do my webspace provider has technical problems. :-/

Please check again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Typical - I almost never most anything, and now when I do my webspace provider has technical problems. :-/

Please check again later.
    You never most anything? Well I always most everything! LOL

Hi. I made a little test composistion using the VI... So far I have only been fooling around with the VI - So I thought it would be fun to try compose a peice using it. Its nothing fancy, or even complete. But I thought I would share it anyway, since many of the demos so far have been of single instruments.

www.marcussenmusic.com/testscore.mp3

Obviously the choir isen't VSL (unfortunately )
    Very nice. One complaint: Too damn short! I know you said it is not yet complete, but IMHO this piece would benifit from a bit more controller data....

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    You never most anything? Well I always most everything! LOL
    hehe - edited.

Thanks for listening. Actually there is a fair amount of controller data for velocity crossfades. But I could maybe have used some more CC11... But I tried keep the dynamics of the samples.

hehe - edited.
    Right - 'cause the 'p' and the 'm' are sooooo very close to each other! ROFL

Actually, I don't think the samples have enough dynamics, at least not compared to a real orchestra. Just my opinion....

Right - 'cause the 'p' and the 'm' are sooooo very close to each other! ROFL

Actually, I don't think the samples have enough dynamics, at least not compared to a real orchestra. Just my opinion....
    hehe - thats exactly the problem. If I'm too much of a purist I'll run into problems with some section getting too loud etc. Generaly sample libraries suffer from too few dynamics, and espeacially the soft ones. When you want pp you reallt need to use C11 to lower the volume, where it obviously would be preferable to have that dynamic. So again, I agree with the dynamics... But for this test, I coldnt be bothered to perfect it.

You're having a joke there Jeff?

Bruce R once said that a sampler is nothing more than an electronic instrument. Couldn't agree more. It's a waste of time comparing samplers and samples to a real orchestra don't you think? That particular 'sound' that Christian has there is more than adequate for most media style ventures in my view.

Hey Paul - no, I was not having a joke.

I agree with Bruce's opinion to an extent - depending on what you are trying to acheive. To some, it IS more than simply an electronic instrument. Ask Sean Callery if his library is simply an electronic instrument. I don't know what his answer would be, but I have a strong feeling that it wouldn't be a simple 'yes'.

You said, "It's a waste of time comparing samplers and samples to a real orchestra don't you think?"

No I don't - again depending on what you are after. I don't mean to open this can of worms again, but if you are writing orchestral music using sample libs, wouldn't you want it to sound as much like a real orchestra as possible? Ok, (for the umpteenth time) that isn't going to happen, but wouldn't you try? Well, trying dictates you compare...if you write a rock tune and record it in your bedroom and you want the guitar to sound like a great sounding guitar on xyz album, which was recorded in a pro studio on a Neve (for ex.), wouldn't you compare your guitar sound to the album's guitar sound? Of course your guitar is not going to sound the same for a variety of reasons, but wouldn't you want to try and compare? If for no other reason than a point of reference?

I do think that Christian's sound is more than adequete - I was merely pointing out what might be improved. Yanno , me being the pessimist I am and Mr. The Glass Is Half Empty!

LOL

Christian,

Sounds very good (and dark ). I really enjoyed the cue. Who needs the last 5 titles - sounds good just like it is

Thanks for sharing.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum