• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can someone help me with a Cubase problem?

Share/Bookmark

Can someone help me with a Cubase problem?

This is something that's really been annoying me and I can't figure out how to end it. I've tried deleting things from my hard drive, defragmenting, disk cleanup, etc on the hardware side. My computer is bad (1.7ghz, 256mb RAM however I never had this sort of problem before and it was just harder to make music, now it's almost impossible. What's happening is Whenever I load my songs, and try to compose, whenever it gets into the more complex parts (and I use stretch the word complex - only like 6-8 instruments playing at a time) (most of this is using DFD EWQLSO Silver, BTW) - usually what happened before was it wuold crackle and stutter - and then I would just play it again, and again, and eventually it would soon be able to play it without stuttering, so I continued with my composing. but now, whenever it gets into a "hard" part, and the CPU starts to get busy, it doesn't just eventually end, instead I get an error "Cubase SX has an error", and I am forced to close the program.

Has anyone had this problem or have any reccomendations about it? It is really an issue and I can't compose at all.

Re: Can someone help me with a Cubase problem?

You don't have a Cubase problem - you have a computer problem. Open up your latency or get a stronger machine. This scenario is covered in the manual.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Yes, I know I don't have a good computer, but there is the factor that it worked perfectly fine for 6 months and only started doing this a few days ago to consider.......

" never had this sort of problem before..."

Before what? What changed? Have you tried the Cubase forum?

Never mind the pooter not being powerful enough, you gotta get some RAM in there.

D

When you're using DFD or audio tracks, it also helps to defragment your drive frequently. Disks become fragmented after a while, which could explain why it worked better in the beginning.

Even better is to keep samples and audio files in a seperate partition or on a seperate drive.

You could also try to upgrade to Kontakt 2.1. I read somewhere that there were issues with DFD in Kontakt 2.0, sometimes causing the CPU to spike in Cubase SX.

Just a thought,

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by awpmusic
    You have to get more RAM before anything else!
    Oops, I see he already defragmented his drive.

Good plan, I think that running XP, Cubase and Kontakt without instruments almost take up that amount of RAM !

Also check Startup and Registry to see that Windows doesn't start any programs that are eating your precious RAM.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pschelfh
    Even better is to keep samples and audio files in a seperate partition or on a seperate drive.
    Separate drive—yes. Separate partition—no.

From the GS3 User Manual (although the concept is universally applicable):

Quote Originally Posted by TASCAM
    Probably the single most important thing you can do for your system to increase performance and polyphony is to dedicate a separate physical hard drive to your sample content. It is simply not enough to create a separate audio partition on the same drive as your OS and programs. In fact, this is actually a bad idea- this makes the drive’s stylus or head work even harder, since it is simultaneously seeking application data in one partition and streaming audio data from another. A dedicated drive for your content frees up both drives to separately access the program data and the audio data.
    — Alan

Actually the music I was doing when this started happening was actually simpler (less instruments, less chords) then before. But thanks for the help. I'm getting a new computer in a few months anyways so maybe I'll hold off....

Do you use your computer on the internet?

Before I had a computer dedicated to music, what you describe would happen to me after 4-6 months of online use - until I reformatted the hard drive.

Jim

Go Back to forum