• Register
  • Help

Topic: [JABB] Snakes on a Plane!

Share/Bookmark

Talking [JABB] Snakes on a Plane!

A just-for-fun songwriting contest finally spurred me to bring forth my first original JABB compositionl; the topic was "Write a theme song for the movie Snakes on a Plane".

If the jazz-knowledgeable members of the forum would be willing to give me some critiques, I'd be quite grateful (I'm working my way through Gary Lindsay's "Jazz Arranging Techniques", but I know I've got a long way to go).

Snakes on a Plane! (MP3, 2:07, 3.5 MB)

Warning: the lyrics are definitely not work-safe; if you object to strong language, please don't listen to it. There are also some minor spoilers in the lyrics (character names and a few situations, including the fact that there are certain creatures on a certain kind of vehicle).
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Re: [JABB] Snakes on a Plane!

Jazz isn't my natural planet, but...

THIS IS GREAT!

Absolutely loved it!

Bravo, Jeff... hell of a job on this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Nice work Jeff! I like both the arrangement and the rendition. Just two things: i would use less compression to allow for more dynamics and the drums seem to play just a bit behind the beat, they sound slightly late, specially the snare backbeat. A very good rendition anyway

Roberto

Oh my god, this is great!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    i would use less compression to allow for more dynamics
    Actually, I think I've gotta personally take the blame for the (lack of) dynamics, rather than blaming it on compression; I pretty much did the whole thing fortissimo.

I did use some compression, but mainly to shave off some of the spikes, mostly on the lead vocals. (I'm naturally a baritone; I can't reach those high notes without really pumping up the volume... which made the rest of the singing too quiet unless I compressed it.)

and the drums seem to play just a bit behind the beat, they sound slightly late, specially the snare backbeat.
    Probably more like everything except the drums are a bit ahead of the beat; the drums are quantized. I do have some trouble with anticipating the beat when I play, but quantizing the instruments played on my WX5 really screws them up (the note on/off events are affected, but the breath and other controller data isn't).

However, it's made worse by one problem which constantly plagues me when I record in SONAR: MIDI tracks assigned to either GPO or JABB consistently end up ahead of the beat (something like 128 or 192 ticks; I forget which). I have to nudge each track that number of ticks to the right to get them to more or less line up with the beats. This doesn't happen when I record on a track assigned to, say, a sound card's onboard synthesizer. I've tried enabling delay compensation on GPO and JABB, but to no avail.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    However, it's made worse by one problem which constantly plagues me when I record in SONAR: MIDI tracks assigned to either GPO or JABB consistently end up ahead of the beat (something like 128 or 192 ticks; I forget which).
    Godfrey - I have the exact same problem. If you find a solution, can you share it please?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

That song is a hoot !!
    Lively and fun.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    i would use less compression to allow for more dynamics
    Roberto,

Is this any better? (Here's the old version for comparison.)

Edited to add: listening to it in the car, I see I bumped up the reverb on the vocals a bit too far. I'll correct that tonight.
    -- Jeff Lee

Go Back to forum