• Register
  • Help

Topic: Opinions

Share/Bookmark

Opinions

I was asked to write a orchrestra piece for a upcoming documentary for missing children. It would be great to get some feedback, since I am new at this composing. The piece is called Finding Billy, and it is the first song on my homepage. I know not all reviews are honest on AP..Thats why I have put up here..
    Thanks Joseph

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=467980&T=8939

Re: Opinions

Very nice work!

Without seeing the visual it sounds terrific it's own. Just the right amount of reservation. Not too melodramatic, or theatrical. There's a nice long suspension that will anchor the imagery.

And...allot of nice work on your site too!

Great job, Joseph!

~Jeff

Thank you, jsp, that meant alot to me.....

Fine stuff... The only thing which I would critique semi-hard is the choir stuff. Its the part that sceems the most for better samples - Something like Giovanni* or EWQLSC* would work wonders I imagine.

* If you are in fact using one of these, then you really need to rework it because you can get much better results.

Thanks much Marcussen, I will rework the Choirs.. I thank you for your honesty...Joseph

I have to admit that it didn't really work for me at first. I liked the very begging(up to 45 sec.) but like Marcussen, i found the choir sounded too much like samples.

From 0:45 to 1:15 i tough it was just a little too busy, maybe i would let the flute answer on it's own kind of... At 1:15 i really liked the ostinato that leads to the climax but would have that climax much louder for a bigger impact(more glorious with brass or something and add layers...)and then go reel soft.

from 1:40 to 2:10 i tough it was a little too busy(less is more in this case maybe) and felt it could be a little more define, maybe you could focus a little bit more on the flute(Melodie) again.

At 2:25 begins a climax that could go louder too(more glorious...) then go reel soft again from 3:00 to 3:30 but would climax again at 3:40.

Over all i would like to hear the soft passage softer, but mostly the loud passage(climax) louder for a bigger emotional impact.

I tough the flute was often not loud enough but had a nice Melodie but was not well define all the times.

My first impression was that the sound was a little too synthy(witch didn't help) and that it could benefit from more orchestral instrument(like brass) with more dynamic and crescendo. I tough it was kind of sterile at times because of the sound you choosed... Maybe it's the mp3 i don't know.

Anyway you asked for a honest opinion and that's mine. FWIW, the more i listen to it the more i liked it, in the end-i really liked it.

I hope it helps to hear a fresh point of view.

I think it's a very hard style of music to wright and congratulate you, you are very close IMHO.

P.S. let us hear the final mix.

My 2 worthless cents.

Geronimo, many thanks for your thoughts......Joseph

Go Back to forum