• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Topic: OT - Bad news for England

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member jonray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    405

    Unhappy OT - Bad news for England

    The Football World Cup starts in 6 weeks' time in Germany. Yesterday our main striker, Wayne Rooney, broke a bone in his foot during a bad tackle.

    Bad news for us
    Jon

  2. #2

    Re: OT - Bad news for England

    Quote Originally Posted by jonray
    The Football World Cup starts in 6 weeks' time in Germany. Yesterday our main striker, Wayne Rooney, broke a bone in his foot during a bad tackle.

    Bad news for us
    Jon
    I say, old chap, what's a striker (not to mention main striker)?

    Thanks,

    Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member jonray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    405

    Re: OT - Bad news for England

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    I say, old chap, what's a striker (not to mention main striker)?

    Thanks,

    Larry A.
    A striker is a player who plays at the front of the team and strikes for goal most often. The opposite is defender - a player who stays at the back ready to tackle the opposing team's strikers. There are also midfield players who, er, mainly stay in middle of the pitch. Although goals can be scored by anyone on the pitch, it's the strikers who score most often. Rooney is our main striker because he's the best. The other is Michael Owen (who also has an injury problem). They say without Rooney we stand much less of a chance of winning the Cup
    Cheers Laz
    Jon

  4. #4

    Re: OT - Bad news for England

    Hi,

    "Wayne Rooney" was the young quick guy who made some cool goals at the last european championship 2004?? Sorry to hear this. It's always a pleasure to see one of those players, don't care the country he's playing for.

    I'll cross my fingers for the german team but I don't think they will make it to the final.

  5. #5
    Senior Member newmewzikboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,700

    Re: OT - Bad news for England

    Jon...does this mean you will play?
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

  6. #6

    Re: OT - Bad news for England

    Quote Originally Posted by jonray
    A striker is a player who plays at the front of the team and strikes for goal most often. The opposite is defender - a player who stays at the back ready to tackle the opposing team's strikers. There are also midfield players who, er, mainly stay in middle of the pitch. Although goals can be scored by anyone on the pitch, it's the strikers who score most often. Rooney is our main striker because he's the best. The other is Michael Owen (who also has an injury problem). They say without Rooney we stand much less of a chance of winning the Cup
    Cheers Laz
    Jon
    Thanks for the explanation. Sorry about your player's injury.

    I wasn't aware that you played football there on the big island. Isn't there a world of difference between the Brit game and the American version of football?

    LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  7. #7

    Re: OT - Bad news for England

    Quote Originally Posted by mixolydian
    Hi,

    "Wayne Rooney" was the young quick guy who made some cool goals at the last european championship 2004?? Sorry to hear this. It's always a pleasure to see one of those players, don't care the country he's playing for.

    I'll cross my fingers for the german team but I don't think they will make it to the final.
    And neither now will England which is a shame, even from a Welshmans perspective!
    Rooney could have been the player of the tournament.

  8. #8
    Senior Member jonray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    405

    Re: OT - Bad news for England

    Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Jon...does this mean you will play?
    Yes indeed! I just bought my new kit:



    (I'm the one on the right )

  9. #9
    Senior Member jonray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    405

    Re: OT - Bad news for England

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Thanks for the explanation. Sorry about your player's injury.

    I wasn't aware that you played football there on the big island. Isn't there a world of difference between the Brit game and the American version of football?

    LGA
    By football I'm referring to Soccer, old boy
    Nope, we don't really play American Football bigtime over here. The nearest we've got to that is Rugby.

    Did you know that the USA Soccer team have made it to the World Cup finals (by finals I mean the last 32 teams)? Is it not high profile there? Over here, Wold Cup fever is already hotting up. England flags everywhere (that's not the union jack btw - white flag with a red cross). (Apologies if you knew all that already).

    Cheers
    Jon

  10. #10
    Senior Member jonray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    405

    Re: OT - Bad news for England

    Quote Originally Posted by mixolydian
    Hi,

    "Wayne Rooney" was the young quick guy who made some cool goals at the last european championship 2004?? Sorry to hear this. It's always a pleasure to see one of those players, don't care the country he's playing for.

    I'll cross my fingers for the german team but I don't think they will make it to the final.

    Yep - this is he:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nd/4960812.stm
    Jon

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •