• Register
  • Help

Topic: RMX, again!

Share/Bookmark

RMX, again!

I've got Nine Volt Electronic guitars and love it, but have heard it works better in RMX, or is "optimized" for RMX or words to that effect.
    So what is it with RMX that makes it better than importing it directly into a DAW and pressing go?
    I figured RMX is just a loop player with a popular fan base and is therefore well supported by third-party developers, but it seems to be almost the only thing on-topic in this forum.

Re: RMX, again!

Imagine how much more you can get out of a loop when you have instant access to every single event in the loop.
    In RMX you can change the order of events in a loop, change the pitch and sound of every event, add different effects to every event in a loop etc.
    Its all about getting creative with the source material.
    Calling RMX a loop player is an understatement if i ever heard one.
    Playing back loops at any tempo is really just one of the many things you can do with it.

Hans

Hi Hywyn,

I'm glad you're digging Electronic Guitars!

Hans made some great points about using the loops in Stylus RMX.

As for Electronic Guitars being "optimized" for RMX, it really has to do with the amount of tempo control you get with this library. Let me explain:

For many people, a strong point of the loops contained within RMX and in Spectrasonics' S.A.G.E./Groove Control loop libraries is that they can be used at an extremely wide range of tempos. When a user slows down a groove, it doesn't "break apart" - meaning, you don't hear audible gaps of silence in between each slice of the loop. So, for instance, you might select an RMX groove that says its tempo is 94 BPM, slow it down to 64 BPM, and the loop sounds just as good - just slower. Electronic Guitars matches this level of flexibility. Just about every loop in Electronic Guitars can be used at any tempo down to around 60 BPM without breaking apart. This tempo flexibility is a function of the recording process undertaken for Electronic Guitars; not something unique that Stylus does to the loops or by the "stretch" function in ReCycle. You will experience the same tempo flexibility whether you use the Reason ReFill or any other REX based loop player. I'm not really familiar with any other REX guitar libraries that offer that kind of flexibility.

I've been meaning to create an MP3 that demonstrates what I'm talking about. I'll try and throw one together in the next day or two and post the link here. It will probably be much more clear to hear what I've described above.
    In the meantime, I hope that sheds some light on it!

Sincerely,
    Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com
    info@ninevoltaudio.com

Howdy Again…

I put together two short MP3 demos that demonstrate the Electronic Guitars tempo flexibility.

Each MP3 file showcases the same loop at five different tempos, back-to-back: 120, 105, 90, 75 and finally 60 BPM. There’s an RMX hi hat keeping time with the loop.

In the first demo you’ll hear the loop as it comes in Electronic Guitars: it plays back at every tempo very well. At 60 BPM, to my ears, it still sounds great.

For the second demo, I took the same loop, bumped it to audio at 105 BPM and re-REX’d it – admittedly, it’s a bit “clicky”, but I did this somewhat quickly for the sake of expediency. I set the “stretch” value in ReCycle at 50% (remember, the other file had no artificial “stretch” added to it in ReCycle).

Once it hits its third loop point at 90 BPM, it’s still sounding OK, and wouldn’t sound too bad in a mix. At loop point four (75 BPM) it’s sounding jittery. At its final loop point (60BPM), it’s very broken up - unless of course you like the square wave tremolo effect

Demo 1 – Electronic Guitars
    Demo 2 – Standard REX loop

Sincerely,
    Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com
    info@ninevoltaudio.com

Thanks Hans and Kyle,

I just read the Sound on Sound review of SAGE expanders and am getting the picture.
    I think I'm going to have to get Stylus RMX and Atmosphere and have seen them as a bundle with Trilogy, only I really don't need Trilogy. Has anyone seen just the Atmospher and Stylus RMX for sale as a bundle?

Best Service in germany is doing all kinds of bundles but depending on where you are located the shipping cost might eat up those savings.

Hans

Talking Re: RMX, again!

Quote Originally Posted by NineVOltAudio
    Hi Hywyn,

I'm glad you're digging Electronic Guitars!

Hans made some great points about using the loops in Stylus RMX.

As for Electronic Guitars being "optimized" for RMX, it really has to do with the amount of tempo control you get with this library. Let me explain:

For many people, a strong point of the loops contained within RMX and in Spectrasonics' S.A.G.E./Groove Control loop libraries is that they can be used at an extremely wide range of tempos. When a user slows down a groove, it doesn't "break apart" - meaning, you don't hear audible gaps of silence in between each slice of the loop. So, for instance, you might select an RMX groove that says its tempo is 94 BPM, slow it down to 64 BPM, and the loop sounds just as good - just slower. Electronic Guitars matches this level of flexibility. Just about every loop in Electronic Guitars can be used at any tempo down to around 60 BPM without breaking apart.

Sincerely,
    Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com
    info@ninevoltaudio.com
    ....hmmmmm,.... boy am I glad you turned out to be a guitartist and not necesarily a pianist!!!!!

Your Mp3's make an excellent case and representation as to what your "Guitar Loops" can do in the right playback engine.

The flexibility still blows me away every time I hear them!

Smile Re: RMX, again!

Thanks Pat! Really nice of you to say that. I'm glad you dig the sounds.

Sincerely,
    Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com
    info@ninevoltaudio.com

Sorry about the above text and HTML coding. Bizarre!
    I typed the responses in Word and copied them over. I guess it didn't work too well.

If anyone wants to hear the difference between a REX from Electronic Guitars and a "standard" REX file set at 105 BPM, here are the links:

http://www.ninevoltaudio.com/demos/e...lexibility.mp3

http://www.ninevoltaudio.com/demos/r...oop_105bpm.mp3

Thanks!

Go Back to forum