• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Multi channel inputs for DAWs?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Multi channel inputs for DAWs?

Anyone out there doing 16 track or better recording straight to thier Daw? Just wondering what options are available for this? All I've really seen are like the MOTU interfaces like the 24i ( no XLRs I think) and the 2408 (of which it would require more than one to do this). What are the pros out there using for this? I'd like to be able to record drums with multiple mics or even track a whole band live. I dont want to sub-mix things before they go in. I want a mic per DAW channel and I'm thinking that 16 is the minimum I want to go. Right now I can go 4 via my Tascam US-428 into Cubase (still 1.06). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've also thought about slaving a Korg or Roland multitrack to my sequencer but I'd rather keep it simple and I dont necessarily trust those units to be of the best quality. Thanks in advance.

Eric

Re: OT: Multi channel inputs for DAWs?

I'm a big Echo fan. Laylas, etc. There are some who claim Echo cards aren't "pro" but I've never figured out why. I've been using their stuff for years for my pro work. They're very reasonably priced, great sounding, low latency, great drivers, no problems.

Anyway, I have three Layla 3gs on one of the pcs here with no problems on Nuendo etc. Basically 48 simultaneous i/o between the analog/adat hookups if you're running at 44.1 or 48. If you use the analog connections only, you've got 24 i/o. Works great with the Steinberg stuff or anything else for that matter.

If you're going to be at 96k, the 3 Laylas give you 24 i/o. If you only need 16-24 i/o, two Laylas or Audiofires wordclocked together would work just fine.

If you're operating at 192 (nobody I know), you can use several audiofire 12's for lots of i/o that'll probably also crash your computer in the process.

The big questions I'd ask are: 1) how much do you want to spend? 2) are you on a pc or a mac? and 3) what sequencer are you using?

If you're not tied to a specific sequencer, you're on a fairly tight budget and you're on a pc or an OS 9 mac, I'd suggest picking up a used Paris system. Each Paris EDS-1000 card can handle 16 ins and 16 outs. Combine that with a MEC and two 8 in analog cards and you've got 16 channels of A/D and a fantastic recording and editing system. You can save files as either 24 bit paris files or 16 bit wave files. If you save as paris files, there are utilities to change them to waves. (I think Wavelab opens native Paris files too.) If you want more channels, you can add more EDS cards, MECs, and 8-in cards up to 128 tracks...

The current version of the Paris system was released just over five years ago, and they stopped production a year or so after that. (Some of us joke that it is a "vintage DAW"...) It doesn't support virtual instruments, and its MIDI subsystem is pretty strange, but I still think it is the best sounding recording system out there. (NOTE: I'm a bit biased in that I own the ParisFAQs.com and ParisNewsGroup.com domain names.)

I think RME could be a solution for you.

I use Metric Halo gear and am very happy with the quality of Digital Audio Converters and the DSP. It has an internal digital mixer also with very flexible routing, and optional on-board processors. You must be on a Mac though, so I shan't bore you with details in case you're on a PC, but if you're interested I'll tell you some more.

Alesis make a good quality 24 track (12 track at 88.2 and 96k) stand-alone HD recorder that can then transfer tracks to a DAW, but then you will need pre-amps or/and a mixer. I've seen it at a substantially reduced price and
    Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades has a modification which puts this recorder on a par with gear many times it's price.

Soory guys, to be more specific, I am a PC guy and I love Cubase so I'll probably stay with it. Price is always a factor but I'm also willing to pay for what works and works well. I think the MOTU system sounds really good but I just wondered what else exists in the same league I guess. Thanks for the help. What is RME? Links maybe?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Soory guys, to be more specific, I am a PC guy and I love Cubase so I'll probably stay with it. Price is always a factor but I'm also willing to pay for what works and works well. I think the MOTU system sounds really good but I just wondered what else exists in the same league I guess. Thanks for the help. What is RME? Links maybe?

Eric
    http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/hdsp9652.htm

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/micpreamps/octamic.htm

That's ONE of many soundcard + ONE micpreamps out of many...

I'm not sure but i think you can stack those micpreamps...My best advise is to read a little on that sit or give them a call:

Tel: +1-330-259-0308
    Fax: +1-330-259-0315
    E-Mail: info@synthax.com
    Web: www.synthax.com

RME is a pro solution IMHO.

There was a guy on the Cakewalk forum that was using three M-Audio 1010's for 24 analog channels. If you're on a budget I don't see why you couldn't do that with three 1010LT's.

Just make sure you've got the on/off switch for the monitor amp nearby. That whole line, 2496 and up, clicks on bootup and shutdown. I've got a 1010LT - the 8 channels of click combine to be really loud and annoying.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins

Eric
    RME is good gear, with an exceptionally good digital clock. In my opinion it beats MOTU. I think the Mackie Onyx may be good too but I never heard it.

Check out the Gearslutz forums, - Low End Theory is perhaps the best unless you are after high end converters / pre-amps. You said price is a factor, and $100 can be the difference between buying yourself some solid performing kit and a piece of tat (and there's an awful lot lot of tat out there).
    Good luck!

I also have had good luck with Echo Laylas.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum