• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Joaz Brass 5tet Complete

Share/Bookmark

Joaz Brass 5tet Complete

Here is the Finale of my Snorlax inspired Brass Quintet. It is a Rondo.

This is a new rendition of the whole piece, using the SIPS script from Big Bob, for Kontakt 2. (Thanks a lot Big Bob) There is a little more detail in these renderings,(CC data, etc) compared to my first draft posts of the last month.And this time they are rendered using the more normal French Horn.

I am actually not by nature much of a tweaker, because all of my energy goes into the writing, but I try to end up with something that can convey the feeling of the piece to the perfromers.

The scores are in a rudimentary state, but are servicable.

I have given this Quintet the working title of "North"

Edit .......Files now hosted on fast server.

1.Allegro.mp3
    Allegro.Score.pdf

2.Chorale..mp3
    Chorale.Score.pdf

3.Rondo.Allegro Vivace.mp3
    Rondo.Score.pdf.

regards Joe

Re: Joaz Brass 5tet Complete

Congrats, great job on this (and the whole project!)

It's been fun hearing this come together movement by movement...

I would dearly love to hear a live recording if Snorlax can manage

Cheers,

Thumbs up Re: Joaz Brass 5tet Complete

Joe,

Very well written pieces. They sounds very full and brilliant and seem very challenging for players.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Well Joe, I've been following each installment with interest and enthusiasm, and this last was well worth the wait. (given that the movements came out one at a time, you could say you used "serial" techniques!). The third movement is wonderful, with strong thematic/motivic coherence. Your rhythmic flexibility is very organic, with the shifting of accents and meters feeling very natural - too often they have a jarring effect (from others, not you); here you handle them superbly. The language which has hints of Walton (I think I said this before) and jazz (no surprise) also feels solid and stable - too often when genres are mixed it has that "now I'll throw in the Jazz element" feel to it; here, the different "influences" - if they can be called that - work together to make a very accessible and interesting harmonic palette. It is, of course, your language, which you have so admirably made clear on other postings. And a fine language it is.

Bravo on a fine achievement. Here's hoping for many fine performances, as it deserves no less.

Ron

After some difficulty downloading, I finally got all three movements, Joe;
    and glad I did. I've relistened the entire quintet with much pleasure and
    appreciation.

You've done a stand-up job on this, Joe -- and I most especially enjoyed
    the new finale rondo.

May I sincerely hope this finds its way to a good performance, as it most
    surely deserves one!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon
    It's been fun hearing this come together movement by movement...
    Yes it is a bit wierd, hearing a work in progress, arrive in installments. But I quite like it when others do it. It is perpetually fascinating, seeing which way composers go with the development of their themes.

Thanks Jon.
    regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto
    ....... and seem very challenging for players.

Sincerely,
    Thanks Jun, I agree that the piece is challenging, but I hope that it proves to be playable.
    It is my first Brass ensemble piece, so I am a little anxious about the practicalities involved.

regards Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    too often when genres are mixed it has that "now I'll throw in the Jazz element" feel to it;

Ron
    Yes Ron, I know what you mean, I usually hate that approach. It is comparatively easy to write music that hops about from one thing to another, but more satisfying, if the elements integrate into "One" thing. I dont always succeed at this, but I always try.

Thanks for your thoughtful listening, and kind comments.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    After some difficulty downloading, I finally got all three movements, Joe;
    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks for persevering David. It seems you are not the only one. One guy just gave up on it because he was getting a 1.5 Kb per second dl speed.( I cant say I blame him.)
    I have just ordered a new Hosting package from Web Hosting Buzz. (Sean recommended them a while back)

Glad you liked the Rondo. It is a rather quaint and old fashioned form isnt it ?
    I feel it is quite a friendly form for New Music, which tends to be not performed very often. The repetitive elements of it, give the audience a chance to grasp what you are talking about.

Perhaps you now see why Minor 3rds have been giving me sleepless nights lately?

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Glad you liked the Rondo. It is a rather quaint and old fashioned form isnt it ?
    I feel it is quite a friendly form for New Music, which tends to be not performed very often. The repetitive elements of it, give the audience a chance to grasp what you are talking about.

Perhaps you now see why Minor 3rds have been giving me sleepless nights lately?
    The formal nature of this quintet is one of its strong points -- and I rather like rondos, myself, use them all the time in one permutation or another.

Minor thirds are a minor dilemma, so to speak. More to my pleasure was watching how you extricated yourself from several box canyons.

Brass quintets, like string quartets, lack the flashy extricatory avenues of piling on a color-and-spash solution that one can avail in larger orchestral ensembles.

There's far more skill required to write successfully for this ensemble than immediately meets the ear...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast