• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan question... noob!

Share/Bookmark

Garritan question... noob!

Hi.
    I found a link to Garritan at either Finale or Sibelius, don't remember which one. I'm very impressed with the quality of sound, and now even more so after listening to some of the work posted here... it's awesome and the artists posting here are awesome.

I'm a noob and while the info at the Garritan link was helpful, im uncertain about a few things. Are they only the sound samples or sound samples plus tools to manipulate the sounds and are they compatable with Logic Pro? Or Logic Express, which is the only one I have until I have more funds?

I also plan to maybe later get Sibilius of Finale so which do recomend for someone who is very inexperienced?

Thanks!

Re: Garritan question... noob!

Hi Leaf, and welcome!

I'm strictly a notation writer, so I cannot answer your technical questions definitively; though I believe GPO will work with what you cite.

As for notation software, it's something of a three-way game with Finale, Sibelius, and Overture. I've heard superb work done with all of them.

Personally I use Finale. If you'd like to have a look at the actual scores I've used for production with GPO, they're generally posted on my site.

Hope to welcome you aboard soon!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks very much for the info, David. Those scores done on Finale look great, and your music is absolutly beautiful. The first time when I was downloading my power went out, but now it's back on so I'm picking up where it messed up. I'm listening to Catherine In Winter right now, excellent strings and flute!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Thanks very much for the info, David. Those scores done on Finale look great, and your music is absolutly beautiful. The first time when I was downloading my power went out, but now it's back on so I'm picking up where it messed up. I'm listening to Catherine In Winter right now, excellent strings and flute!!
    Gosh, I'm sorry my music knocked your power out (must have
    been Lucifer And Gandhi... lol). I think it also once lit Brian2112's
    pants on fire.

Leaf, just to be very clear, none of those scores are "post processed".
    What you hear (other than the Dan Kury special version of Lucifer
    And Gandhi
    ) comes straight off the scores from the Finale notation.

Thanks for the kind words on the music!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I am a Sibelius user here and have found it easy for beginners to use. And why I am still using it...well...I like the features such as the video. Even though there isn't an instant output, It's still a good idea for a feature...it just needs to be able to be delayed to work with GPO. And please don't take my songs as an example of Sibelius, they are just beginners work compared to what some of the users here can do with Sibelius. I don't see all that much of a difference between the software though, they all come out with the same results eventually.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum