• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria, clarinet & piano

Share/Bookmark

Aria, clarinet & piano

This was an early GPO experiment for me, half successful at best. Too much reverb, clarinet seems to go "over the top" in places, rubatos uneven. I still like my piece though... I've played it live a couple of times and was much happier with it than I am this realization. Will have to revisit it someday.

Aria (clarinet & piano)

Re: Aria, clarinet & piano

Ever heard the phrase, "Your own worst critic?" I think that might apply here. I see what you mean about the clarinet being "over the top," (I have the same problem with it sometimes) but it's not that bad really. I still found the piece relaxing to listen to.
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dargason
    This was an early GPO experiment for me, half successful at best. Too much reverb, clarinet seems to go "over the top" in places, rubatos uneven. I still like my piece though... I've played it live a couple of times and was much happier with it than I am this realization. Will have to revisit it someday.

Aria (clarinet & piano)
    I cannot say I found the reverb overbearing; it sounded about right to me, really. Holding onto the clarinet's often a handful dynamically, especially on sustained notes... but I think you did a good job of it in this, Dargason -- maybe just drop the overall level of the clarinet a little, or raise the piano slightly. Foss is right, this is a very good rendition overall, nonetheless -- you're your own worst critic.

The piece itself is beautiful work, Dargason, lovely writing... I thoroughly enjoyed hearing this. Listened to it once, first, in fact, and then came back to it for a second hearing. Nice job on this!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Beautiful and lyrical piece . Some really exquisite accompaniment. And I agree with the other members here, you did a good job on the realization. I find the reverb just perfect.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

I agree with the "too much reverb" opinion. Also too much sustain in the piano sometimes?

Besides that a remarkable example of a beautiful but not at all cheesy piece. Easy understandable but being the opposite of trivial (that is high art for me).

If it were mine and I would revisit it one day I would have a closer look on the texture of the right hand of the piano.

Hannes

I have to say that on my system at least the clarinet is a bit acidic and the piano somewhat muffled. Shame as it's a nice piece --reckon it's well worth rerendering!

Go Back to forum