• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cut Off from the Outside World

Share/Bookmark

Cut Off from the Outside World

If you tried to get a hold of me this morning I was electronically morooned.

I woke up this morning and made my customary beeline to the computer.
    Launching my browser to my homepage (which is my favorite forum) I was unable to connect. Then I checked my email and no connection. Tried to call my ISP and no phone service.

No internet, no email, no phone, no Skype, no forum - Yikes! On a Friday / Chatday no less!

I had to resort to things like take my time eating breakfast, going outside and taking in Springtime, spending time with Marianne, and doing some reading of actual printed pages.

There was an island-wide outage and I'm connected again. If any of you tried to contact me this morning please try again.

Have any of you ever been totally cut-off electronically? It's a strange feeling.

Gary Garritan

Talking Re: Cut Off from the Outside World

What a moroon! Hey, what happened to the smoke signal home study course I sent you?
    Hope you are able to chat this evenink, darlink!
    Styxx

Re: Cut Off from the Outside World

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I.

Have any of you ever been totally cut-off electronically? It's a strange feeling.

Gary Garritan
    Well, when it happens here (too often) I get some extra piano practice. Good that my piano is the old fashioned kind.

Richard

no boat, no lights, no motorcar, not a single luxury,
    like Robinson Caruso, as primitive as can be.
    So join us on the chat my friend, you're sure to get a smile......
    with Hannifin,..... the Etlux dude,
    Richard N and his wife,....
    the movie maestro,... the Professor and Marianne,....

here on Orcas Island!!!!

Glad you are up and runnin Gary!
    DPDan

I had to resort to things like take my time eating breakfast, going outside and taking in Springtime, spending time with Marianne, and doing some reading of actual printed pages.

My goodness ..how primitive!! Well, hopefully you'll never have to resort to that sort of thing again!

~Jeff

At least he has things to do. If I'm cut off, I only have one choice, work on all the homework I've "forgotten". My keyboard is powered, my computers are powered, my mind is unable to function. Now if we lose electricity, we lose phone too. Luckily, I have a UPS backup (with this number of computers, it only lasts 5 minutes but is rated for 60 minutes).

Besides, you had stuff to do. Me, well, it is either homework or go and walk around town and listen to Chops (guy who talks a lot).
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Gary Garritan
    Heaven forbid you should do those things! What were you thinking? Going outside? Spending time with family?!!

Infact yesterday not only did our cable modem go down, it includes the phone. During the hurricanes we lucked out and went only at the most a day or two, but that is enough when it is 90 out with the humidity near 100 percent. I like my AC.
    Robert Davis

Unfortunately, the power goes out all too often here. After the ice storm of 1991, we decided to buy a generator. It has saved our basement from being flooded, and my sanity, with being able to get on the internet, more than once. My only problem is in being able to start the dog gone thing. It isn't electric start and can be a bear, even with a heated enclosure, and a power drill set up to start it with. I don't know what the difference is, because we have an 8 horse wood splitter that I usually don't have any trouble starting, as long as a mouse hasn't tried to build a nest in it! One year I found the engine compartment on a lawn mower, jam packed with dog food, so you never know what you're going to find around here.

Charlene

Gary Garritan
    Sigh.

Yes, and it always reminds me how imprisoned I am by my computer.

For the entire course of human history, until 15-20 years ago, most people didn't have computers, and they got along just fine. Now if my WiFi card goes down, I feel lost. Computers are unbelievably useful tools for productivity and communication, but I wonder if they are also slowly-tightening nooses.

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Sigh.

Yes, and it always reminds me how imprisoned I am by my computer.

For the entire course of human history, until 15-20 years ago, most people didn't have computers, and they got along just fine. Now if my WiFi card goes down, I feel lost. Computers are unbelievably useful tools for productivity and communication, but I wonder if they are also slowly-tightening nooses.

chris.
    Well, I have often had similar thoughts. I sometimes compose fairly long segments without use of the computer just so I can prove to myself that the computer advantage is that it is a fast entry tool, and although quite a useful device, it can do nothing without me, not vice versa.

Richard

Go Back to forum