• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "PowerHouse" - No strings allowed

Share/Bookmark

"PowerHouse" - No strings allowed

My attempt at GPO and JABB combined.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...House_2006.mp3
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: "PowerHouse" - No strings allowed

Wow! Great work! No strings allowed?! You did a splendid job without them (sorry violinists). Great percussion, great dynamics, great melody, great rhythm. This piece has it all! The blend of JABB and GPO is seamless. Bravo!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    No strings allowed?! You did a splendid job without them (sorry violinists).
    I think they deserved a rest sometimes.

Actually the stereotypical pad use of strings in rock orientated tunes can turn things so cheesy (no rule here but it can happen) that your piece is very refreshing ... and makes me want to work with JABB ... as soon as I am through my learning curve with GOP ...

I wonder whether some more hairpins could be of use here, though.

Hannes

Hot!

Really great job on the writing in this, Mitch -- thoroughly enjoyed the energy and forward thrust of this piece.

This one, I'd really love to hear in live performance -- it'd boil the hair off an onion, I think.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for the support. I'd like to hear this one live, too. I think I'll have to go talk to the local community band director and see if they are interested. Or the local high school director, or college director, or... Ah never mind. I'll find someone to play it.

P.S. Have you listened to my other peice I posted last night? "A Musical Journey" for Concert Band. It's a bit different than what I usually write. Have been toying with it for a couple of years now. Enjoy!
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

This rocks! It would sound GREAT played live. If it is I hope you're able to get a recording. I think aside from being the kind of music people want to hear, this is the sort of things that people WANT to play. Lots of energy and cool lines. Great job!

More cool stuff Mitch! So was it just my imagination or was there a little tip of the hat to Raymond Scott's Powerhouse in the tubas in the middle somewhere?

Gee, someone else has a song called Powerhouse? Guess I'll have to go with my original name "Trumpet Power" if it's not already taken.

I went back and looked at this song again and found that I had the Finale 2006 settings wrong for the expression tool. I changed the volume setting from Control to Key Velocity and came out with a much different sound. I can actually hear more of the instruments now. Huh, what a difference.

Oh yeah... Raymond Scott's Powerhouse is one of the most famous cartoon soundtrack themes of all time - you'll recognize it if you follow the link I included above. You probably just didn't know what it was called - I didn't until a couple of years ago.

It's that unmistakable theme from the old Warner Bros cartoons, the one with the ominous chromatic bass line followed by the bluesy muted trumpet melody. Yeah, that one.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast